Cruise Ship Travel and Catheters

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have never been catheterized.  Recently, I've had a few episodes of not being able to urinate for up to ten minutes after waking up at night.  I do have BPH and as a result of these episodes I am on Flomax and Avodart.  Everything seems to be working okay and I haven't any repeat episodes for over ten days now.

In a month, I'm scheduled to take a cruise to Hawaii from the west coast. We will be at sea for five days.  I'm worried about how I can be treated if I suffer urinary retention and need to be catheterized.  My understanding is that the ship does have at least one doctor and several nurses.  I would assume that they would have catheters as well.

Still, would it be a good idea for me to take some catheters with me just in case?  As I said I've never been catheterized and obviously I don't know how to do it, but if for some reason the ship didn't have any catheters, I could provide them.  

If this is a good idea can anyone suggest the type of catheter I might take with me.  Nothing to thick. confused

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just did my first self-cath, and I was amazed at how comfortable it was... a little resistance, but very little discomfort.  I used a 14, but will go to a 16 as the 14 bent a bit too much.  What a relief to be empty for a change!  I suggest some practice caths before your cruise... and I took a tylenol a half hour prior... maybe it helped?
    • Posted

I have done over 1,500 in the past 13 months.  Sounds like you are used a red rubber catheter on your first try.  They are a lot more flexible than some of the plastic ones, and less likely to cause damage.  You had better luck with your first CIC than I did.  My first try was with a coude tip plastic catheter, and I ended up causing bleeding.  Since then, I have been using red rubber (FR18) or soft plastic (FR16) straight tip catheters without issue.  Everyone's plumbing is different, so find what works best for you - that includes lubricants too.  The manufacturers and suppliers will provide samples to try.  I meet a little resistance going into the prostate and bladder, but I don't find it uncomfortable, and so far no UTIs.

• Posted

Which catheters are the soft plastic that you mentioned in your post?  I want to use something that is already lubricated because it seems like the chance for a UTI is greatly diminished if you don't have to lubricate the catheter manually.

• Posted

Coloplast makes a soft plastic catheter that I use.  However, it is not hydrophilic or pre lubricated.  I have been lubricating my catheters for over a year now, without getting an infection.  I am pretty good about washing beforehand.  I haven't found any of the hydrophilic plastic catheters that are as soft as the soft Coloplast, but then I haven't tried all of them.  I do find the Coloplast compact catheters to work well, and I carry some when traveling, sine you can put them in a pocket.  They are expensive.  They have an olive tip and the tube tapes down at the tip, making the tip more flexible.  Cure makes a pre lubricated (not hydrophilic) that I have successfully used, but they are not as soft as the soft Coloplast.  I also carry doctor prescribed Cipro with me when traveling, just in case of infection. 

• Posted

tapes should be tapers
    • Posted

My first was a Doctor furnished "Cure" brand catheter HM14... it is not red rubber, but, I think, plastic... hydrophilic, polished eyelets... pretty comfortable really, aside from the bending... I tried a HM16 same brand... worked a little better... not as much bending... most resistance was at the bladder neck, leading me to believe that maybe a BNI procedure would benefit me... I will research those...

What I found unusual is that I had to put the cath in so far... at least 12-13" before flow...Is it usual to have the 16" cath go in that far?  I thought 10" was more "normal"...??

• Posted

Sounds like you didn't have it in far enough, but I can only speculate.  There is a lot of plumbing to go through, plus turns.  Everyone is a little different, but mine goes in at least 12".  A larger catheter is going to be stiffer.  The stiffer it is, the harder to negotiate turns, which increases the chance of injury.  Red rubber will be the most flexible, but you have to lubricate them yourself.

Regarding resistance, I find it can vary day to day.  I think the urinary tract may get irritated sometimes, making it slightly more restrictive.  I also find sometimes more resistance making the final push into the bladder. It seems like when the bladder is fuller, such as in the morning, that there is slightly more resistance.  Of course, I could be imagining this.

At my last visit, my urologist mentioned a a BNI procedure, but said there was always the possibility of leakage.  I told him that I don't leak now and that I would prefer CIC over incontinence.  Whatever you do, consult with your urologist and do your own research.

• Posted

Thanks, that makes me feel better... the HM16 is just a bit stiffer than the HM14... no problem... I'll still probably use up the box of 14's, when things settle down a little...yes, the "final push" is the hardest for me too...

I too think the CIC is better than leakage at this point, IF I only have to cath 1-2 time daily... I think I can get away with only once, at night, if I cut back on my water intake... I think most procedures have leakage risk, I read some Green Light reviews... leakage, pain, bleeding and long recovery times... none of which my uro Doc told me about... so I am seeing another one soon.

Have you read about the HoLEP procedure?  Seems to garner some very good reviews... IF you can get insurance to pay...  lucky for me there are two Uro-Docs here in Tucson that are supposed to be very good at it... they take my cheapo insurance, but whether the HoLEP will be covered is another story...

• Posted

I'm on Medicare and retired military.  I haven't explored surgery options, but my catheters are covered in full. I understand that in order to get coverage for the extra cost of hydrophilic catheters, you need to have two UTIs in a year.  Luckily none so far.  I cath 4 times per day and don't worry about drinking in the evening.  My schedule is when I get up in the morning, around Noon, around 6:00 P.M. and right before I go to bed (usually around 11 P.M.).

I encourage you to try different catheters brands to see what works best for you.  The manufacturers will all send samples, as will many of the suppliers.

• Posted

I thought that mfgs wanted a prescription before sending samples... no?  I got two full boxes of 30 each from my uro-Doc, no charge (maybe they charged insurance)... both boxes are hydrophylic and I have had no UTIs.  They are pretty comfortable, but I wouldn't know if others are much better!  Like to sample... can you send names of companies that do not require prescriptions?  Seems like that requirement is bogus... who want a cath if not to use the dang thing???

• Posted

I have a prescription, but most of the manufacturers just call the doctor's office to verify.  If your doctor gave you some, then I wouldn't think he would have an issue with helping you get samples.

• Posted

I doubt they would have any problem helping me, other than the fact that I am about to dump that urologist!  But he doesn't know that yet... what have you found are the top two MOST comfortable caths?  I don't think I need a coude tip...

• Posted

In the UK I've ordered samples without prescription, although the companies have always contacted me first to make sure I have been shown how to self-catheterise, then, to get regular supplies, a prescription is required.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.