Crumbling Spine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I have had Osteoarthritis since I was 20 but have learnt to manage the pain along with many meds redface but just recently i have had a really sharp pain inbetween my shoulder blades that went straight through to the front and made me double over and my hands automatically went straight to my chest. You would have thought I was having a heart attack but I know it wasnt. It has happened twice now, but only lasts a matter of seconds. My gp has said it could be my spine starting to crumble, I really hope it isnt sad I have an xray 2moro off my spine so I am very nervous for the results. Do any of you on here have this and how do you manage your lives? I will report back when I have the results

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, did you get your xray results yet? I have OA in my spine and multi jonts, most of them  now! I'm 72 and this has been getting progressively worse over about 20 years as OA is degenerative.  You  are young for this problem though, is it genetic do you think? I get pain in and between the shoulder blades through to chest at the front. I've heard it called referred pain, especially if the arthritis is close to a nerve. Hope you get the correct treatment. Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hi Ellie

I have DiGeorge Syndrome which is a genetics problem that I was born with as it means the pair of dna shows an abnormality 22q also known as lol. Was diagnosed in my 20's with OA but could have had for longer without knowing. My spine thankfully isnt crumbling, but is showing degenerative changes, sad I have just been told that indeed I do have RA as well as PA now too, all connected to the syndrome I have. I have a wonderful RA Consultant whom yesterday gave me a steroid injection in my left hip lol but he now has drawn up a plan of action for my further treatments so that I don't have to go to the main Hospital all the time. Hope you are having a good day today xx cool

• Posted

Hi Karen. Sorry you have this genetic problem. I don't know of it but have had OA since my 40's. It is in my family as I believe it is in quite a lot of family's but doesn't always degenarate so quickly as it did in my case I don't think. I found physio and hydro therapy in particular helped enormously. The warm water loosens you up and it's easier to exercise so strengthening your muscles which in turn helps the joints I was told. You have to do the exercises with a physio therapist to start with and not overdo it as that makes the aches worse. Slowly and gently as you build up the muscle strength! I hope you have a warm hydro therapy pool near you, your rheumy can refer you if you ask. Are you in the UK? The one I used to go to has closed now unfortunately but I do recommend it. (NHS cuts)  I went for about 10 years. Swimming is good too if you can get in a pool, the warmer the better! (I can't now due to age and other disabilities.) rolleyes  Good luck and best wishes, Ellie. biggrin

• Posted

Thank you Ellie smile Yes I have been to hydro pool a few years back am hoping to go again lol and yes it's lovely in there xxxx Thanks for your replies Good luck best wishes xxx
    • Posted

Good luck to you too Karen. Enjoy the H pool, it can be fun with a good crowd in with you to chat with. biggrin
    • Posted

Everything was fine Ellie spine isnt crumbling but showing degenerative changes thank goodness for that thank you smile
    • Posted

Hi Karen. Pleased to hear your spine is not crumbling, a plus anyway! smile The degenerative changes hopefully will be slow so exercise as we spoke about before is the best option. Best wishes Ellie X.  Keep in touch. wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.