crunching sound

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am now 8 weeks post THR and doing really well.  However, as I'm now walking up stairs normally, I've noticed a bit of a chruching sound (and feel)  giong on in my joint and wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar, so in other words, is it normal?  I'm a fitness instructor hoping to start teaching again in a couple of weeks so don't want to risk anything..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

oops should have read as 'crunching' sound....... also it only happens when I am walking up stairs and weigh bear on my new hip.... :-/ 

• Posted

Hi Fredamac -- I don't have an answer to your question.  I'm at 2.5 weeks post op.  I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if you get some replies that I can remember if it happens to me.  Great that you are a fitness instructor.  You must have gone into this fairly strong.    Hugs.

• Posted

Hi, Yes my hip tends to crunch and click at lot. I can also feel it sort of grinding too. This is my second revision and I know I have a lot of inflammation and fluid around the joint. I've also got massive muscle and tissue loss due to the other two failiures, so I think this may be the cause of mine. However I've got a Stryker Duel mobility hip which has more movement with it. Do ypu know what you have? X

• Posted

Mine is more of a clunk, like when you crack your knuckles but muffled.  It's a bit of a weird sensation but think it's fairly normal - it's not painful.  I am 13 or so weeks, with an uncemented hip, not sure if this makes a difference to progress it's the last couple of weeks I have really got going, walking unaided etc. But my fitness level is a big fat zero so trying to work on this - with a bad back too.  Hope you get back to your fitness duties, if you've any free time I could do with a few sessionslol.

• Posted

I am 6 months post op and I did have that crunching sound when I was at about your stage. I felt frightened it was my hip, but everything checked and it was ok. My foot is my problem and prevents me from doing fitness, line dancing and walking with my rambler friends.  

I wish you you luck with your teaching fitness and wish it was me.

Brenda

• Posted

Hi I'm 5 weeks post RTHR and experiencing this same crunching sensation around the lateral hip area. I can feel it and my husband could also feel it under his hand as I was walking. The physio had no explanation and I haven't found much, if any, information online anywhere. Did this sensation go away eventually or did you ever find out what was causing it? I don't find it particularly painful although it does cause discomfort and it's preventing me from attempting to climb stairs or ditch the walking aids as it happens every time I put weight on that leg or flex my hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.