Crush injury on my foot

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around six weeks ago I had a crush injury on my foot a ton and a half digger fell on it and I was trapped for around five minutes. I was taken to a&e and straight away when my boot was taken off there was necrosis already showing around a golf ball size on the top off my foot, I’d fractured my 2nd metertarsal also. I was kept in for a week because of compartment syndrome and had to elivate and rest for a further 4 weeks. They decided to put a hell to lift the dead skin instead of cutting it out, it is now 6 weeks on the size of a 20p my foot now has a high step I think it’s called, and a ledge which I’m sure wasn’t there before, the skin is numb-ish to the touch. I still get shooting pains on the open area. And generally my foot still hurts it’s bearable but the docs took my boot off me and my crutches and told me to expect it to be sore for a while.

My question to anyone who has had the same kind of injury is, will thensensation come back to the numb areas, and will the ledge recede? Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good luck to you.  Your injury sounds horrible.  It happened just 6 weeks ago and now you have no more boot or crutches.  Really?  I had one little broken metatarsal (5th, 3 fractures) and was in a full cast or boot for 8 weeks then used a walker to transition back to weight bearing on that foot.  I'm not familiar with compartment syndrome, but it must have made you superman.  Again, best of luck and I know healing always takes longer than we would want it to take.

• Posted

Cheers! I’m walking and driving, allbeit I feel pain it’s bearable but the doctor said it would be sore for a bit. I just hope I can get back to playing basketball. Does anyone have any history of an injury like this and fully recovered???
    • Posted

Hi,

I totally agree with devsmom, the major injury like this takes a longer time to recover. My friend got a foot injury last year and around after 6 months, he was fully recovered.

Thanks!!

• Posted

I hated not being able to drive but I made a full recovery in all areas.  No basket ball for me but advanced step aerobics.  It all just takes too much time.  When you look back in a year all this will be a vague memory.  I hope you get an answer from someone with your injury, but I think you are doing great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.