CRUTCHES - FRIENDS OR FOES?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Those of you on crutches will understand why I ask this question. Mine spends  most of its time on the floor.  Whilst I need it every time I get up, I sometimes curse it when it falls with a clatter to the ground, making me bend down to pick it up. I have two of course but only use one. It is an elbow crutch. There are pros and cons with it. People in supermarkets rush to help me and push me through to the cashier before them and I also get help with putting my shopping in the car. To get about and to remain as independent as I can, I use it as without, I would be static. I need it.  It doesnt seem to feel the same way about me when it crashes down on tiled flooring.  After using it for a short time I had a nasty mark underneath my elbow which doesnt disappear. I think of myself as lucky all the same as I think of others far worse off, some very young back from wartorn places without legs or arms at all. So we crutch-users ought to think ourselves well off in comparison.  Good health to you all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I totally understand what you're talking about regarding the marks you get whilst using crutches. From blisters to callus marks and bruises, I think I've more bumps from the crutches than the initial injury!

I hope you keep your spirits up and recover soon!

• Posted

Hi

I understand what you mean about crutches being such a painfrown

I need them and will do permanently. Like you, I prop them up when I'm having coffee or stop anywhere. I talk to them, shout at them!!!!!!!!! Does it make any difference????? Not a chance they still clatter to the ground.

Do we have any inventors out there that could come up with any ideas/suggestions on what to do with them {no rude answers pleasewink} when we stop for a time?

• Posted

If you make a snowman, the elbow crutches could be used right across the top of the body and serve as arms!  Gloves could then be hooked over the ends of the crutches...  They are also useful for opening and eventually closing high windows.
    • Posted

Hi

As for a snowman...this is my first winter on crutches so no way have I ventured out in the snow we have hadcheesygrin  I do get your pointcheesygrin

Havent tried opening or closing windows but I've looked at clothes in supermarkets sometimes and they are always on high railsconfused

I use the crutch to hook them down LOL......havent got the knack of hanging them up again so they go back on a lower railwink {and hope none of the sales girls are watching LOL}

I decided to buy my own when I realised i had to use them permanently.

I've got one lot that are pink and black and another lot that are purple and black.

The pink ones were festooned with fairy lights {wrapped around them with a battery at the top} over the Christmas periodcheesygrin At least when i was out and met people it made them smile.

You've got to be positive havent you?

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.