Cry daily due to swelling and stiffness

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm out 9 weeks now, and stiffness and swelling is so unbearable. I just got done with PT last week so now will be on my own. I cry daily, and I have tried Ibuprofen, Aleve, Advil, for Inflammation and nothing helps. Ice and elevating are my best friends. If anyone has any ideas, advice, anything will help. Much appreciated. Was hoping to be back to work by now but no way.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We understand. Keep doing your exercises and stretches the physical therapist gave you. Ice and elevation as you know/ keep it up, it will get better. Don't give up. Celebrate the small victories. Try to stay busy so you don't think about it all the time.

Take care,

Jen survivor of bilateral knee replacement almost one year out.

• Posted

I know how you feel, I have cried many times during my recovery. I am 13 weeks post op and still feel like crying some days. I still have stiffness and discomfort on the outer side of my knee. I also have a terrible snapping of a ligament on that side every time I bend my knee. I just keep telling myself it is not life threatening and do not have a terminal illness so be greatful, this will get better. Sometimes if I get stressed I start coloring in my adult coloring book to keep my mind off of my discomfort. Everyone who is in the same boat says this will all be a memory! Stay strong, keep doing your exercises and ice that knee. I take 2 Aleve and it seems to calm things down. Hope you get some relief soon!
  • Posted

I'm with you, I don't know what to do either. Hoping someone can help us.

• Posted

Could you talk to your doctor about painkillers. You shouldn't have to suffer. I'm at 10 weeks and still taking Tramadol. Still dealing with stiffness and pain.

Chin up. Everyone says it will get better👍

• Posted

I am taking tramadol yet. I was trying to wean off of it but the stiffness hurts so bad I started taking it again. Many people tell me its the best thing they have ever done, doesn't feel like it right now. Like I tell people, I just want to be normal again. Thanks for listening. And good luck with yours. Let's keep in touch. Thanks again!!

• Posted

I was exactly where you are at 9 weeks.  At PT my therapist was not sure if she would ever see me doing and acting like I am now.  My TKR was on 11/14/16.  What I think helped me the most was the aqua therapy.  Ask your Dr. for something stronger.  I took Tramadol which helped a lot (this is a prescription drug).  Keep on icing.  I still have swelling but was told from the start that it could be a year before I am back to normal with my knee.  Stiffness will go away as swelling subsides.  Don't give up.  I am back to my "wonderful" self  i.e. laughing and doing daily chores.  I was lucky as I did not have to go back to work as I retired in 2015.  Please keep your chin up and keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi

Hot baths I also found gave some relief.

The other thing was no exercises except for walking and a bicycle .

Good healing

• Posted

Read everything Chico has ever posted he writes how it is and how it will be be strong hearted you will get there its a long painful journey and unless the persons you're talking to have ever had TKR they will either think you're a wimpy or their eyes will glaze YOU WILL DO IT IN YOUR OWN TIME REMEMBER IT'S A LONG LONELY ROAD BIG HUGS XXX

• Posted

I am a big fan of bath therapy! Not too hot, or keeping operated leg cooler by keeping out of water for half of the time!
  • Posted

"There's no crying in baseball." - Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

"There's no crying after a TKR" - Forum Oracles

Well...yes there is but we kick that to the side as fast as we can.  Unfortunately, you're still in the 0-3 month time frame...the worst part of this whole experience.  Personally, I was either unconscious or writhing in pain for a good portion of the first two months!!!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

"Was hoping to be back to work by now..."  Sorry, there's only one word for that: delusional.  Depending on the job, most people get back to work in the 6-9 month range.  Very few can do it earlier successfully.  Others who attempt it are plagued by pain, swelling, tightness and a lot more.  Sets their recovery back.

Remember, it's not just the knee itself.  All the surrounding muscles have atrophied and need to be built up again.  This takes time and work.  You may want to rethink your expectations...almost all of us had to because no one has a clue what to expect going into this thing.  (I booked a gig with my band for 10 days post-op!!!  I was such an idiot...they had to get a sub bassist...)  A full recovery takes a year...plan on it...expect it.  If you're done sooner, then smile and say "Thanks".  Otherwise, get ready for a long recovery.

Some advice?  Ok...

- Before bed, rub in some Voltaren Gel (RX in the USA).  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Works in 15 minutes.  Great help.

- Use a loose ACE (stretch) bandage or knee sleeve to prevent the incision from rubbing on sheets and clothes.

- All those OTC meds are NOT good for your stomach long term but helpful if you need them for a month.  But there's a trick...you have to understand how the meds work...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/staying-ahead-of-the-pain-563395

- Ice and elevate

- Swelling always indicates that you pushed the knee too far that day...always.  Try using a FitBit or other pedometer to track your steps.  When you get swelling, note your steps and then back off, increasing gradually.

- Your crying could also be lingering Post-Op Depression...it's a real thing and you do NOT need anti-depressants!  Read that section in here...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

- If you have your ROM back from PT, now you start rebuilding your strength.  Here's that plan...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

If you need more help, just ask.  I have 18 posts out there that you can consult for additional information.  Just remember, you're not alone.  Lots of people here to help.  I'm almost at 14 months so I've been through all of it at age 69.  You will get past this...you will find your inner strength to do it.

• Posted

Well said Chico, I love all your advice,help & support. You've helped me no end these past 14 weeks. Sometimes I feel I should be over it ,then I read what you say & get my life back in to proportion.i feel great one day then go out & over do it & it takes a few days to recover. It IS frustrating & painful, but thanks for being there for us .

• Posted

Thank you.  Just remember that it's slow and steady...no other way to do it.  I rehabbed a hip replacement in six weeks...5 hours a day, six days a week, therapy pool and gym.  Really pushed it.  You cannot do that with a knee which has a mind of its own. Overdo it and it punishes you by swelling and knocking you down.  I used a FitBit for a long while to track my steps.  At 8 months, I got up to 11,000+...over five miles...with no pain or swelling.  

Then I got stenosis at L2/L3 and everything went to hell.  Just had surgery to fix it 5 weeks ago.  Still need neuro clearance to restart the gym work for the knee.  I'm 69 and want my 30-year old "hockey body" back!  Close to the weight but the legs are completely shot.  Gonna take time, work and patience.  I'm thinking September...if I don't get hit by a bus... 

PS: If I suddenly disappear from the forum, remember me kindly...I'll be dead...

• Posted

I am starting today (3 weeks tmrw) with a positive mental attitude due to your suggestions Chico. I don't think I would have coped so far without this forum. The main thing I have learnt is our journeys are all individual. In life I am very target driven and hard on myself and we all have to learn self kindness in this process.

• Posted

Go girl that's the way each day is unique may be bad may be good keep a log the you might even come to realise what is your trigger point remember you're a star getting to where you are today if anyone says different trip them with your crutch lol hugs xx

• Posted

Nooo Chico, please avoid the buses !! We need you on this forum. Yes I will definitely walk in stages & try not to overdo it.its so hard, when your brain feels young & you want to live! I was mad to go into town & walk @ for 2 hours. I have learned the hard way. I seem to be eating on & off all day but still loosing weight. My daughter tells me that because I'm in pain, most of the time it's stress & I need nourishment to keep strength up. Anyone else have this problem do you think? I think you're amazing Chico after all you've been through, isn't it good to try & see the bright side , & as you say we can always see others worse off. We WILL get over this .

• Posted

Yes, be really kind to your knee, it's doing very well! No need to force it or upset it. Just love and attention! I treat mine to gentle massages, baths with epsom salts, and lots of ice and elevation. You will make progress. It just takes time!

• Posted

Oh I totally love your immediate feedback. Love reading all your posts with info for everyone. As I'm reading, I'm totally confused at so many different responses to exercise. To much exercise prevents swelling and then they then tell you that you should be as active and working the knee as much as you can. Any info or explanation for me?

My PT is done now and I'm trying to to this on my own and its tough. I hurt all the time, swelling, stiffness. I read about the Voltran Gel, I'm not fond of the side effects that it has with it. I'm icing and elevating at least 4-5 times a day. Elevate whenever I'm sitting for sure. I'm 9 weeks out and still can't go around all the way around on my recumbent bike. Makes me so upset. My ROM is at 105, straightness is at a 7. I'm 53, and walk with a limp, and don't want to think that I will walk like that the rest of my life.

Thanks for listening. 😊😊

• Posted

Wow Fay! You and I are same age. I'm 53 as well. I'm now 14 weeks out now and just now at 101 in force bending PT. I'm finishing my second round of PT. I was able to pedal the bike at 7 weeks. I still struggle when I start the bike, but after several wobbly revolutions I've got it. My ROM is 96-101. My straight is 6. I bet your still rocking the bike pedals back and forth. You are headed in a good direction. Keep us posted! I did a, RTKR.

I'm going to ask for the Voltaren gel...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.