Cryogenic ablation, am I a good patient for this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 51, fit, slim, with a good lifestyle but have had paroysmal AF for 20 years, managed by medication.  Now my left atrium is 61ml/m2 and my AF is happening more ofetn (on a daily basis).  Am I a good candidate for cryogenic ablation? I worry about my atrial size.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Before i had my first ablation using the Cryo ablation technique, my cardiologist first carried out a test to make sure i was a candidate for the procedure [i cant remember the name of this test but i was admited to hospital for it]

surely your cardiologist should be preparing you for the same or simular test

• Posted

I am seeing my Cardio tomorrow, how do I find out what my atrium size is? No one has ever informed me of that. Also I do have a slightly enlaeged right ventricle due to rhuematic fever as a child. I love this forum,we learn so much.
  • Posted

Hi Patrick, could you please elaborate on what '61ml/m2'  means?  I know the cut of for normal adult atrial size is a diameter of 4mm.

• Posted

Hi Terence, this apparently is a volumetric measure from echocardiography.  It is supposed to be the best measure of atrial size.
  • Posted

hya ......I have been back in AF for the past year ......after having first a cardiversiion and then an abalation which seemed to give me new lease of life! now i am awaiting a second abalation .....but this time a severley enlarged atrium .............I had seen two cardioligists with very different views on a treatment plan..............you have to make the desicion about your suitability with the help of a GOOD cardioligist............hope all goes well for you.......
  • Posted

Yes i have been offered another abalation .....even though I have a severely enlarged atrium

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.