Cryotherapy for RA?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good morning friends, has anyone tried cryotherapy for rheumatoid arthritis ? It's a simple question but it might mean a lot to me I like to know if someone has tried it and if has gotten any good results. This pain it's killing me as I cannot do anything I can't sleep well and I'm fighting with insurance for my medicines . So I'm looking for something alternative in the meantime any thoughts? Thank you for all your responses

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Downey girl,

I have not tried cryotheraphy for rheumatoid arthritis. If fact, I just heard about this type of treatment for RA just a couple of days ago. Have you tried Methotrexate or Enbrel?

Don

• Posted

Hi Don, I am on methotrexate at the moment and is not working at all as for Enbrel I was on it up to about a year ago on a study they were doing about the drugI was getting it for free but that study ended and now I'm going to start fighting with the insurance so they can cover it. Enbrel work really good for me, my doctor told me present insurance it's contracted with Humira but as we know that might take a while until the insurance approves it if they do .

• Posted

Hello Downey girl,

I was on Humira and Methotrexate together with the first rheumatologist I had, but when he was leaving the office, I quit both of these medications, probably a mistake now that I look back on it. The rheumatologist I have now let me first begin with Sulfasalazine, but since this was not working well, he started me on Methotrexate and then had me stop Sulfasalazine soon after beginning Enbrel.

Methotrexate worked well before I had my surgery last October, but it never did completely what it needed to do, especially after surgery. Enbrel works, but not well enough to stop Methotrexate, as this was attempted about one month ago and I am still feeling the effects of stopping Methotrexate, even though I have been back on it for two weeks.

Methotrexate is inexpensive, too bad it does not work well on its own. Both Humira and Enbrel are very expensive. I do not remember how well Humira worked, as it was about 15 months ago since I last used it.

I have read that the effectiveness of these medications can change over time. Sometimes they work and then a new medication needs to be tried.

I have also changed my diet to become more vegetarian since last Thanksgiving. Not sure if this is making much of a difference yet as due to working, being in school, and studying as much as I have to, I do not always have the time for energy to prepare healthy food. I am getting away from all dairy and slowly getting away from meats, but this is a bit difficult.

Let me know how it goes for you,

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.