Crystalens cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had cataract surgery one week ago on my right eye with Crystalens.  I was very farsighted.  The doctor said he would reduce the farsightedness somewhat in this eye.  I went in for my post-op checkup, and the doctor said my eyesight in that eye is twice as nearsighted as he was aiming for.  The lens is diopter 23.  I can read without glasses, but anything beyond reading range I have to wear my glasses.  This is somewhat frustrating, as of course, the right eye is blurry with glasses.  Is this normal or is it an error on the doctor's part in calculating the lens strength? The doctor wants to wait about a month to see if the vision will settle down (ie., get more farsighted) before operating on the left eye and be able to calculate the lens. Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Just to be sure about your current vision issue, it seems that you really nearsighted right now, and not farsighted, from your description of the issue. If you are farsighted, then you won't be able to read without glasses.

This was definitely a huge error in the lens power calculation by your doctor. What power was he really aiming for? Was he aiming for good intermediate vision and ended up with only good near vision.? Or was he really aiming for the best  distance vision (with which the Crystalens would have provided you good intermediate distance vision) and ended up being so wrong with the power.

In a fair world, the least he can do is to pay for your LASIK enhancement of the right vision vision so that you have the vision which you probably thousands of dollars more than for a good monofocal lens and ended up worse.

Waiting for some time before the second eye is done is probably a good idea, but I would not have him do the second surgery before he fixes the problem with the right eye without an extra charge to you.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, in the eye with the Crystalens I can see very clearly up close.  Anything past two feet is not in focus.

I'm not sure of the power the doctor was aiming for, but the way he explained it that he was aiming for close and intermediate vision. The other eye I believe is is aiming for distance.  I am going to call the office tomorrow to see if I can get some more specifics.  Maybe I should get a second opinion?

• Posted

It is always good to get the second opinion, but I am not sure if the second doctor can easily correct the error made by your first doctor.

If your current surgeon can really achieve the plano or the -0.25D for the left eye, you may end up with an acceptable vision. A lot will depend on how easily you can adapt to the monovision (due to the difference in the prescription of the 2 eyes). Some persons (including I and my wife) adapt easily to that. Others take a little longer. Still if I were you, I would be mad paying about $5000 - $6000 more than the monofocal lenses and ending up with no better vision due to the error of the surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Carla, I had my right eye done 2 weeks ago today. I had Lasik many years ago so I was told that there was a chance, even with today’s technology and I provided then with my ore Lasik numbers, that the IOL power might be off. I wanted sharp distance vision after cataract surgery. The results are good distance at about 2 feet away. So I can’t see well enough to drive. My second eye was scheduled for today but I’m postponing it. I’m waiting for things to stabilize but yes, it’s frustrating. This forum has been wonderful to get support from people with similar issues. Hang in there! 
    • Posted

Thanks for all the input.  I talked to a technician at the doctor's office.  She said that it takes a while sometimes for the lens to settle in.  Sometimes the doctor waits three months before proceeding with the other eye.  So I may get more distance vision as it settles down.  I sure hope so.  He did mention something about maybe wearing one contact in the other eye in the interim, so I am going to see about that. Seems like wearing my glasses wouldn't let the new lens "practice" focusing at different distances, but I don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.