CSF Flow Percentages?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My neurosurgeon at Northwestern University told me that there is no real way of calculating the percentage of blockage of my CSF flow. He said all they can really tell is if there is a blockage or not, and I guess see if it looks like a bad bloackage or minor one. 

I bring this up because I am not sure if he is right or not, but I see posts on these forums of people indicating that they know how much their CSF flow was blocked and they know the exact percentage it was blocked...do people really know how much percent they have blocked? 

I have seen some say they have a 95% blockage, 75% blockage, 50%...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had the decompression surgery with the dura opening...4 weeks of false hope.  Then I had filum terminale dissectum surgery.  There are 3 doctors in the US and one is Spain that do this surgery.  For me, we traveled to the Institute de Chiari in Barcelona, had the 45 minute outpatient surgery, and now after 2-1/2 years in bed, I am back to raising my kids and leading a productive life!  God Bless, Steve
    • Posted

Thanks for responding and I am very happy to hear your quality of life has ilsignificantly improved after Tmg our last surgery.

I never heard of filum terminale dissectum surgery, so I just looked it up and first website I read suggested it had to do with patients who have tethered cord syndrome with a chiari malformation 1.

What was your exact original diagnosis? Did you a chiari 1 with tethered cord syndrome or something else? How old are you if you now and how old were you when u had your posterior fossa decompression with dural patch surgery if don’t mind me asking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.