CSF Flow Test...Vague?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Here is what my results were from my CSF flow test. I hear some people talking about the percentages of their blockages and they get very specific on these forums. I asked my neurosurgeon if he could tell me the exact percentage of the blockage and he basically said that the MRI just gives us a snapshot at one point in time of the flow. The flow may be slightly worse or better at other points in time. There really is no way to give an accurate percentage of flow. Is this true? What do you think of my results? I am having a posterior fossa decompression with the dura patch on May 8th.

The MRI CSF flow did demonstrate that there was decreased flow caused by the Chiari malformation. You can see the impression below

IMPRESSION: 

1.  There is 11 mm tonsillar herniation through the foramen magnum consistent with Chiari I malformation.

2.  Altered flow dynamics within CSF dorsal to the cervical cord when compared to the CSF ventral to the cervical cord due to cerebellar tonsillar herniation. There is mild decreased CSF flow in the dorsal foramen magnum secondary to the low bilateral cerebellar tonsils.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dear

Coincidentally I have 11 mm tonsils and having operation 8 May.

I also talk too much but have strong jaw muscles never get tired of talking.

Percentages of blockages does not make sense because it gets bigger and smaller all the time. I have been doing chiari friendly neck experiences for 6 months so I am almost symptoms free.

• Posted

Thanks for responding to my thread. What are “chiari neck experiences”, or did u mean exercises? Where are u having your surgery?

I am having mine at Northwestern University 

• Posted

Hi blackhawks3310

I also have 40cm syrinx in my spine because I am very active (I have done four marathon last couple of years, cycling to work 18 miles, a lot of chiari friendly EXERCISES) I am almost symptoms free.

I am having my operation at Royal London Hospital same day with yours . I will pray for you. Pray for me.

• Posted

Our big day is coming up! I am heading to church tomorrow, I will say a prayer that all goes well for you.  There is light at the end of this tunnel, we will be okay!
    • Posted

How did your surgery go? I pray it went well.  My surgeon said mine went perfectly as planned, but I am in a tremendous amount of post operative pain. It was unbelievable how much head and neck ache post op pain I had the first day out of surgery. Day 2 is a lot better but it’s still hurting. I’m onclots of medications norco, Valium, tramadol, and deladid (sp?)....the catheter was no joke either, but I’m surviving. Hope all went well with ur surgery and that your pain is under control post op. I’m praying for you
    • Posted

Hi my chiarian frieeeeeend!

Nice to hear from you again. Mine is olsa OK. They sent me home next day, I feel jolly, happy, I don't feel like I had an operation,

They only done phase 1 ( removing some bones from the skull) this may work and my 40cm syrinx will shrink slowly.

If not they will do phase 2 (removing some brain membrane)

I only get neck and head pain while sleeping. If I sleep sitting position I don't get much.

I am sorry for your pain. You done the worse bit, hopefully pain will settle down. I will pray for you, please let me know if you get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.