CSM New to site

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I was finally diagnosed cervial spondylosis with myelopathy last monday 22nd Feb 2010. This has been ongoing for at least 3 years, have had every test they could throw at me. My neurologist is refering me to a nero surgeon as he says it is severe and surgery is the only answer. I have been on medication for the last 8 months, not doing alot of good, just changed it again see how this goes. My GP has signed me off work for 3 months as I have problems walking. If anyone can give advise re surgery I would be grateful, my problems are with C4/C5, C5/C6 with cord deformed at C4/C5, osteophytes at C5/C6 flattening the cord and protruding disk at T8/9.

Regards

Tony L

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya Tony, :D

Hope you're still having a toot on the site.

I had a multi level laminectomy operation 2.5 years ago. Before I go any further I just want to stress a couple of things. The operation does not [b:10a33e975a]cure[/b:10a33e975a] the condition,rather it slows it down. The recovery can take time and will vary from person to person, it has taken those 2.5 years for me to recover from the op. The op itself was er... not very nice, (mine was done from the back of my neck as some of the discs were too low to reach from the front method) sorry I don.t believe in going round the houses and dressing it up, it's a nasty op and no one can tell you how the recovery time is.

The cut goes up into my scalp for about 2\" and down for about 7\" I had 23 metal clips (Yuck)!! However the scar is not visable and is very neat.

The pain (for me) after the op was considerable, and it is very important that you get good pain relief treatment, do as the docs tell you and you'll be fine.

My brother had the op 5 years before me, he has not recovered very well at all, and still suffers a hell of a lot, I have my own thoughts on this.............. my brother had suffered for around 18 years before anything was done for him, I had only suffered for about 3 years, so I'm of the opinion the sooner the op is done the better, also allowing for the severity of each persons condition.

I must admit at first I got really despondent, there seemed no end to the incapacity and I felt worse off than before the op, however, I can honestly say I'm glad I had it done.I still get days when I can't do anthything but.............. not as many as before. I won't be doing the Riverdance any day soon, but I'm up and fighting.

Don't let the pain in your brain, keep as active as you can, if you have to lie down do it!!

Good luck

If you have anymore questions, Ill be happy to answer them.

Take Care

Emx

• Posted

Hi Em

Thanks for your reply and glad you did not pull any punches. I do understand that the op is not a cure, but my neuroligist says without it and the rate my problems are progressing, without it I will end up in a wheelchair, I am just hoping the op will prolong that happening. The new meds i'm on are keeping pain to tolerable but will need to keep increasing them to maintain that. Rest assured if I have further questions I will ask.

Regards and take care

Tony

• Posted

[quote:0301e5a0ce=\"Tony L\"]Hi Em

Thanks for your reply and glad you did not pull any punches. I do understand that the op is not a cure, but my neuroligist says without it and the rate my problems are progressing, without it I will end up in a wheelchair, I am just hoping the op will prolong that happening. The new meds i'm on are keeping pain to tolerable but will need to keep increasing them to maintain that. Rest assured if I have further questions I will ask.

Regards and take care

Tony[/quote:0301e5a0ce]

Hiya Tony,

Yeah, your neuro is probably right about the wheelchair, my neuro told me the same. What meds are you taking Tony, I've really managed to lower mine considerably. I only take Naproxen now, + a tummy protector.

I was also told by my Rheumy cons, to take extra calcium which I do.

Hope this helps

Take Care

Emxx :wink:

• Posted

Hi Em

i'm on amitriptyline, diclofenac, co-codamol and diazepam. I was on gabapentin but that stopped working, high as a kite most of the time but it's worth it for the reduction in pain.

Take care

Tony

• Posted

Hiya Tony.... :ok:

I have CS as well and has surgery on my C4/5, C5/6 6 and a bit months ago!!! As Aunty Em says, everyones recovery and experience is different, but i know for me, that without the surgery, i would have just continued to deteriorate. I can't say that i am pain free by any means, but i am in less pain and my arm pain/numbness went away completely. I have also had this for a long time...my injury was 12 years ago, so like Em said...the sooner the better!!!!

Take care...and i am also willing to answer any questions you might have.

Jassy..xx.. :fairy:

• Posted

Thanks Jassy

I will let you all know when I get appointment and what the neurosurgeon says, hopefully it won't be to long.

Regards

Tony

• Posted

Hi All

Just to let you know I saw neurosurgeon today, very nice man. He explained everything good and bad, said it would be max 6 months before I ended up in a wheelchair without surgery. I have agreed to have it and he will do it at Royal London Hospital in 4 to 5 weeks, will keep you posted.

Regards Tony

• Posted

Hi Tony

Hope all goes well with your op and you don't have to wait too long before you feel the benefit.

All the best

Aitch

• Posted

Hello Tony:

I was told by my Neurologist at Charing Cross Hospital - that I only had a 50/50 chance of any improvement in my condition with surgery, and if it went wrong I could end up in a wheelchair. I chose not to have the operation - I'm not sure if that was the right decision because I'm still in a lot of pain, and I've developed dizzy spells which are caused by vertebral pressing on arteries - this condition is causing me a lot of trouble, and was the main reason why I had to give up any kind of work. Any kind of activity will cause dizzy spells - even walking up stairs!!

It's your decision mate, I wish you all best , and hope that it all goes well for you - regarding painkillers, I had all those that you take but the only one that I found that worked for me was Tramadol - This was like a gift from God to me!! I usually get some relief for a short while from the pain with these, which is better than nothing

Good luck mate.

• Posted

Hi Aitch thanks for reply I am hopefull that the op will help.

Alan I understand your choice but for me I decided it was catch 22, if I don't have the op I will end up in a wheelchair. So if the op does not work and I end up in a wheelchair, I wont have lost anything by trying.

Regards Tony

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Your Neurologist has recomended surgery for your CS, mine was the opposite. I have 2 protuding discs, c4/c5 & c6/c7, osteophytes, stenosis and cervical artery compression. There is also some bone missing at c7.

The Doc said it was a major opperation and thought it too risky. An op for the artery compression is out of the question as he said I could bleed to death, he was a very reassuring chap. I must admit the thought of an operation does bother me as there is no guarantee of success and recovery seems to be long and painful for some. But if you are suffering severely it must be worth having an op. None of us relish the thought of ending up in a wheelchair. As for painkillers, I have yet to see my GP about this but I am concerned what effect they would have on my dizziness, walking is bad enough now without strong pills.

Good Luck.

Janner

• Posted

Hi Janner

My neurosugeon is concerned about the severity of the myelopathy as it has taken over most of my body. So the op is to take the pressure off my spinal cord as it is flattened. At present that is the only area he is going to operate on at C5/C6. I am fully aware of the risk factor and find the whole idea a tad scary but as I said earlier catch 22.

Regards Tony

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Yes it certainly is a catch 22 situation. I understand and hope your op is successful.

Cheers

Janner

• Posted

Hi janner

Thanks for your support I am hoping for a good outcome and will let everyone know how I get on.

Tony

• Posted

have been talking about possible cs solutions with my doctor but she says that my cs is not bad emough to warrant surgery. I have lost curvature in neck , discs c3-c4 very dehydrated and major hand clumsiness and muscle spasams. What has to be wrong to warrant surgery??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.