CT heart scan

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just asked my cardio consultant if I can have one of the new CT scans that can show your heart and any artery blockages etc. which is a lot less invasive than another angiogram his answer was "why do you want a CT scan, they can give you cancer". !!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I too wanted a ct scan after chest pain, but was told it was too dangerous. My stress ekg was supposedly also negative for blocked arteries, but I was very out of shape. Cause of concern for the doctors? NO.
    • Posted

Hard on the kidneys and also unnecesary even if i have chest pain and poor VO2 max(fitness level)
    • Posted

I should glow in the dark from the number of X-Rays I had as a child.

I had a hip problem and must have had four X-Rays about every six weeks for over two years and then twice yearly for the next six years. Plus quite a few over the years since then for other reasons.

I had three X-Rays in the last year and a CT scan coming up this week.

I had one in Switzerland a few years ago when I broke a bone in my foot. The lady doing it put a lead blanket over my midriff as she said to protect my manhood:-) At least 50 years too late I thought.

• Posted

Go for angiogram . I did it , solved my problem without any hassle .
    • Posted

I have already had 2 x angiogram/angioplasty/stents. I wanted the CT instead of having a 3rd to check on my left artery sad
  • Posted

I think it is partially true because it does use hard x-ray but you'd have to be exposed a lot to hard x-ray to get cancer.
  • Posted

Hi

Thanks for text. Thats a strange comment. Will keep your e-mail and respond. Which part of the country are you in please. I am on the PPG committee and will  be able to get my colleagues looking at info from your county with other things in general. It is a dye and camera that is passed up in to your groin and heart.  This consultant thinks the dye is cancer causing >>.

• Posted

Go for a angiogram they are very expensive. The consultant doing it will tell you within 30 minutes any problem.
  • Posted

Just asked my GP if he can refer me for a scan, he said no, only the cardio consultant can! I can't even have a private scan without a GP referral. Any suggestions sad
    • Posted

That's the way the NHS system works nowadays.

If you want to pay to see a cardiolgist he will only refer you for a scan if he considers it necessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.