ct of abdomen

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone ever had an abdominal and pelvic ct scan? And did it lead to a diagnosis or had an issue that a scan missed? Im just wondering how accurate this test is

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get another scan at a different location.

• Posted

its not gonna be easy to convince doctors to let me have another one since results were normal.

• Posted

If you are going to another radiologist for a second opinion there is nothing to convince.

• Posted

im unable to go straight to a radiologist, it has to go through a doctor , thats how

kaiser works at least

• Posted

its a bunch of odd things that has happened since i gave birth in march. some rectal bleeding on tp and some diarrhea then in april had vaginal bleeding for 2 days followed by cramping that got worse, it started feeling like the ovaries hurt and it became super sharp along with pain in the waist area upon sitting down. but i didnt have pain the whole time i was sitting,.it was just the act of sitting down. after several days that all went away and the pain was reduced to quick painful spasms at the waist while passing gas. even after that ended i started getting hip and lower back and groin pain with an icy hot feeling that started at the hips and migrated. this lasted for awhile with some anal pain that lasted only a very short time. also have on and off narrow stools that are in the shape of a snake. then i got an actual period which was my first in 10 months but the pain when sitting returned, with low back pain on the sides as i sat down as well. this ended when my period did but i still had lower back pain and sometimes in the hip. then i started getting crampy feelings in the lower and upper abdomen with non stop belching and sometimes pain that seeme to be in the esophagus. the back ache and lower cramps are worse at night but theyre not severe. i then most recently started having burning that started under right rib and moved downwards then whole abdomen and upper back burning pain and right now my right scapula hurts when i raise it. also had loose watery stool almost a week ago

• Posted

and today had sharp pain when sucking in stomach

• Posted

A CT scan is highly accurate and unlikely to miss anything. If nothing shows up, it is likely that your test was negative for any problems. Many people worry about negative scans and believe something was missed. Doctors diagnose IBS when all scans are negative. IBS is functional and will not show on tests because it is a disorder of how the bowel functions and not something wrong with the structure of the bowel.All my tests were negative and resulted in no diagnosis at first so I thought the tests had missed something. One of my doctors wanted to do the tests again to make sure nothing had been overlooked. However, my final doctor decided that this was unnecessary because my symptoms were no worse and I had no new ones that suggested something else was going on. This was not the case and I was diagnosed correctly with IBS. Once I accepted that my tests were clear and accepted my doctor's opinion, my IBS and health anxiety got better.

Your symptoms sound like an IBS flare up which can change in intensity and produce different symptoms over time. This can frighten people but IBS is like that. The trick is not to worry and remember that your doctor would not have diagnosed IBS if he had thought you had something else. You have had very thorough and accurate testing done. Try concentrating on light exercise such as walking or swimming which is very good for IBS and focus on a hobby which will help to distract your mind from your symptoms.

• Posted

another odd thing ive had for over a year is off and on eye pain or inflammation which causes my eyes to look reddish. i can see red lines in the white parts. it looks simmilar to uveitis or escleritis. it usually occurs when my stomach

is acting up. I do have gastritis as

well.

• Posted

When you are having IBS/gastritis flare ups, your body is putting all its efforts into fighting the pain and other symptoms and this can leave you fatigued and more open to infections because your immune system is under parr.

• Posted

It's not so much that gastritis and IBS cause your eye infections, it's more that your body's immune system may be at a low ebb because your body is busy fighting your stomach complaints. It's more an indirect effect.

• Posted

I see what you mean. I try to relax but things just keep popping up, like now its pain at the top of the butt area below the tailbone and anal pain off and on along with the abdomibal and back symptoms . its

weird how the pain travels all over the place

• Posted

The end portion of the bowel wraps round the lower back and can cause pain with IBS. Pain tends to move about. I found that once I had been diagnosed with IBS, I stopped worrying about the locations of my pain because I had an explanation for it all from my doctor.

• Posted

i was diagnosed with ibs 2 years ago and had a range of symptoms for a long time but always found a reason to worry its something serious. Even when Ive had a range of tests, i think any new symptoms is due to something new developing. This always happens right after getting reassurance, its beyond rediculous

• Posted

My reason for worry was because initially no one could diagnose me. I had lots of negative tests with no answers. In the end, I got a good doctor who recognised my symptoms. The relief was so great because the root cause of my health anxiety had been eliminated. I always knew that a diagnosis would calm me down and it did.Maybe look into to relaxation therapy to help your anxiety.

• Posted

I wish a diagnosis could calm me down. I question diagnoses a lot, even wanting more tests. I just need to remind myself

that the scan was accurate and to focus on dealing with anxiety

• Posted

What helps me is to realise that my doctor knows more than I do because he/she has had years of training that I don't have and in the end I have to rely on the experts.

• Posted

does leg and hip pain have to do with ibs? or pain in the spine? Thats what im

dealing with along with feeling like I have to go but it either goes away or ends up being gas

• Posted

Lower back pain is common with IBS and so is hip pain. Pain can occur just about anywhere with IBS and can even affect the joints. It is also possible to get referred pain too.I have had back and hip pain with IBs and it doesn't help that I also have a back injury. When you are anxious, ongoing symptoms are common. Gas can cause a lot of pain until it is released.

• Posted

I saw my primary doc yesterday. she said mt symptoms are functional. she didnt use tge term ibs..the doc who said it was ibs was not my regular doc..she diagnosed based on a bad bout of diarrhea and abdominal pain relived by

bowel movement

• Posted

IBS is a functional disorder of the bowel and there are many different ways of describing it including the term functional. It means that there is nothing wrong with the structure of the colon. IBS will not show in any scan or test so there is no point in asking for further tests because of its functional nature. The only things your doctor can do for you is to prescribe antispasmodics, suggest the Low Fodmap diet or food diary, Imodium for diarrhoea and increasing your fibre intake or trying a laxative when constipated.

However, what will help you is to accept your diagnosis, try as much as possible to stay calm and try out the suggestions I have mentioned. Don't worry about the terminology your doctor used or the fact that your IBS was not diagnosed by your regular doctor. It doesn't matter which doctor diagnosed your IBS. Focus on the fact that you got a definitive diagnosis of IBS from a doctor who is the expert. Diagnosis, acceptance is key to controlling your IBS. Abdominal pain temporarily relieved by a bowel movement is a classic symptom of IBS and so is diarrhoea. My IBS was identified largely on the basis of my intense anxiety linked to my bowel symptoms.

Speak to your doctor about your anxiety to see if he/she can offer you any techniques or medication to control it. Once you get to grips with your anxiety, this will help prevent flare ups or at least shorten the length of your flare up.The symptoms you are describing are IBS symptoms. Try to relax; this really helps me. When I am relaxed, I have no IBS, when I have intense. prolonged stress, my IBS flares up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.