CT Scan?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Has anyone had one of these and how was it? Just found out I have to have one this week. I have a 10cm suspected dermoid cyst on my left ovary and when I was examined the doctor could feel a mass in my stomach which he said was the cyst. I guess they have to grow in some direction? OK so far but they are doing an abdominal and thorax scan so now I'm worried all over again and about something else!!! Help!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i think you find they do it routinely, either ct or MRI, they can get a better picture of what they dealing with . Put dye in your arm, weird as you feel like you've wet yourself. Painless and doesn't take long, so try not to worry

• Posted

Hey!

I had to have a CT scan for a 10cm cyst in my right ovary and it was painful. It was only painful because I was in so much pain in urgent care. They tell you to lay down and hold your breath for a few seconds and it was so hard to lay down flat! I was crying because it hurt to hold your breath even for like 3 seconds. If you aren't in any pain, then it should be no problem.  Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Hello Chrissie123!

I had (what they thought was) a 9cm cyst on my left ovary. It turned out to be a degenerative fibroid on my uterus that seemed to encompass my ovary.

I had 2 ultrasounds & the CT scan. They may have you do the IV & also drink a type of dye to get a better look at everything else, which they often want to do when there's an ovary involved.

It's not painful... Just a needle prick. It's the "unknown" just tends to make us worry!!!

My Dr explained that a CT scan gives them shades of gray that show sizes of body parts & tissue, whether there's inflammation or fluid pockets. But until the Dr sees it with the naked eye & they check those tissues microscopically, you can't know exactly what you're dealing with. It's good to get it done with!

In my case, my initial Dr's & radiology tech & Radiologist were all wrong! And I'm grateful for that! I so appreciate my surgeons experience & knowledge.

I pray you will sail through your tests & have excellent care & a good outcome as well!

Blessings!

• Posted

I had one two weeks ago. It was absolutely fine. I found it quite relaxing once I had been talked through what would happen. You lay on a bed, the nurse made sure I was comfy before we began. I had my arms relaxed up over my head. They scan you quickly then inject the dye and do it again.  I found holding my breath hard but I managed it long enough.

tell them if you are anxious, the nurse that helped me was brilliant. 

• Posted

Thank you SO much to everyone who replied so quickly. Its gone a long way to helping. This past three weeks has been nothing but one nasty surprise after another and I just got freaked ou, especially the thoracic scan which I wasn't expecting. Still I guess I just have to trust the doctors to do the best thing and take this one day at a time until I get through it. Thanks again and I hope everyone is keeping well through what is a horrible experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.