ct scan gallbladder....what next?????

Posted , 7 users are following.

Saw my surgeon and now wants to send me for a Ct scan?? because all my other tests came back fine, apart from the ultrasound showing shadows in side my gallbladder. Has anyone had a ct scan? what does it involve and how long does it take?

Also Has anyone had the same experience with the ultrasound? just finding shadows then finding more on the ct scan??  Is a ct scan better than an ultrasound? How long will i have to wait for results?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Vonnie, a CT scan is more definitive.  An ultrasound is not always able to determine what's there because of certain conditions in the body such as the intrusion of a portion of another organ, or visceral fat, etc.  CT scans can be done with contrast, because that makes everything show up clearer, or without contrast.  With contrast you fast before hand and drink the contrast solution.  In my case that was several very large glasses of clear liquid containing a radioactive isotope.  You also might be given an IV of the same substance.  Because you want everything to be clearer, that's what is generally done.  The prep involves drinking and waiting for it to work its way through your body.  The scan itself takes about 10-15 minutes.  There is no pain with this procedure, except when they have to find a vein.  I don't know how long you'll have to wait for the results.  I am in the US, so I went back to my doctor in about 3 weeks. Good luck, and let us know how you do!
  • Posted

My ultrasound found the stones in my gallbladder. I didn't need the ct scan. Chances are, if you are having pain and discomfort, you have stones or sludge. I had a couple of ct scans of chest area, and only was injected with the iodine, just was a hot, flushing feeling momentarily, no discomfort, and it was quick. 
  • Posted

Well, I just noticed the answer from 'lynda20916'. So, she said it very well, and I agree with everything she mentioned. It seemed to me like it would be almost the same too. But they aren't. Sometimes the ultrasound is better than the CT for specifics, but sometimes the CT is better. Since the ultrasound is done with breathing and internal movement they don't always see what they are looking for clearly. The CT is a photo moment with careful positioning to get just where they want it. And mine have been painless too! Good Luck!
  • Posted

They want to see if the shadows are, if they are polyps or lots of small stones.  The surgeon said that all my symptoms dont sound like GB issues after doing every other test which came back fine......even my endoscopy came back fine.
    • Posted

Hi, Vonnie!  I wanted to add that my symptoms didn't seem like classic gallbladder sypmptoms to my doctors, either. I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy while they were looking for what was wrong.  They didn't reveal anything.  I had horrible diarreha with yellow bile whenever I ate, I was nauseous, but no pain in my gallbladder or elsewhere.  I had lost over 30 pounds and was extremely weak.  I was diagnosed with IBS-D, which seemed to me a convenient diagnosis. They wanted me to be experiencing signifcant pain, and be able to present all the classic symptoms.  Each case is different.  My surgeon finally said that he'd been fooled by ultrasounds before.  When mine came out, it was filled with stones.  So, please be your own best advocate!  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Bonnie I had an MRCP scan over 3 weeks ago. The technician said results would be 3 weeks so I rang the hospital to see if they were in only to be told results are taking 6-8 weeks at the moment due to a backlog 😞
    • Posted

thats terrible having to wait that long for your results!! Are u in scotland? How long did it take got your appointment/letter to come through for your scan? xxx
  • Posted

No I'm in England. It took about a month for the scan to come through so it's a long wait! Don't think the 18 weeks timescale is going to meet that's for sure xx
    • Posted

The 18 week timescale is very interesting.  You can only breach once and that is what is counted on the stats, that you've breached once.  It will not be recorded as a continued breach at any time after that.  So, the Hospitals don't really care as once you've breached you've breached, end of.  As anything, these things are all manipulated to others advantage.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.