CT Scan miss some stones?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the ER during the wee hours of this past Friday morning for labor - like pains that I suspected was a kidney stone passing. I had my first kidney stone a year ago that was large and it had to be treated with a lithotripsy, so this was my first experience with "passing" one. The nurses agreed it looked like I was passing a stone, but the doctor was not convinced. After my bloodwork came back with mildly elevated wbc and my urinalysis came back clean, he was ready to send me home with some pain meds and call it a day. I insisted on a CT scan because this was not ordinary pain. I didn't feel any relief until dilauded was administered. So I got my CT scan and sure enough, there are stones. I'm told two in my left kidney, both of them 3mm and should easily pass at home. I'm given a script for flomax, lortabs and ibuprofin and told to expect them to pass in the next 7 to 10 days. I go home at 5am and over the next 6 hours, I pass 4 stones that are each 3mm. I'm totally confused. Are these stones that were already in my bladder and not mentioned to me? Did the CT scan miss two of them? Do I still have two coming? Can a CT scan miss stones? I'm assuming the pain would become intense once the two in my kidney approached my bladder and that the four I passed were the ones that landed me in the ER. So maybe I had 6 of these things? Anyone else experience anything like this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me like these stones were already in your bladder. I was diagnosed with a stone on Monday and my urologist said that as soon as its in your bladder, you shouldn't feel much pain when passing. The pain is when the stone leaves the kidney and makes its way down to the uretha to the bladder - this is due to the uretha only being 3mm wide with no flex.

• Posted

I had flank and bladder pain with blood in my urine. A culture showed some bacteria growth and was put on antibiotics for UTI but due to the amount of blood, the doctor wanted to do a full workup. I had an ultrasound which claim back clear and 2 days later a ct scan which also came back clear. The very next day I was rushed to er in excruciating pain. They repeated the ct scan (the second in 2 days) which showed a stone. So in answer to your question, yes! A ct scan can miss a stone.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your response. I just got home from ER. I too had symptoms of Swelling and I had a UTI after a week of antibiotics and increased back abomin pain I went to the ER. They then told me aI didnt have a uti and they didnt see any kidney stones, yet I am on alot of pain thatvhave all same symptoms. Thankfully I got a email from my doctor office who said they will be calling to do a ct scan. So I am going to repeate it. This time I pray they show up, and maybe they will take care of thid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.