CT Scan - Pleast tell me it will be ok

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doc is sending an order in for a Ct with contrast dye. I read that it causes cancer or I could be allergic, should I do this test? My doc wants to rule things out before sending me to GI doc. He said if this test is clear than the GI doc will decide if I need endoscopy or colonoscopy to make IBS diagnosis. I am so scared. Medical procedures terrify me. Who else has had the Ct with dye to reach IBS diagnosis, what can I expect? Please... any input will be so helpful.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey there 😃

Firstly, you have the same name/spelling as my sister 😃))

Secondly, there is absolutely NOTHING to be concerned about with regards to an abdominal CT scan. I had an abdominal+pelvic CT scan just a few months ago and a neck/upper chest CT scan earlier in the year. It is painless, fast, is super easy. You literally just lay there for about a minute 😃

With regards to the contrast, you will likely have to drink some a few hours before the test. Choose the berry flavor 😃 The technician will also likely administer more contrast intravenously in your arm. This gives them an excellent look at your digestive track to see if there are any blockages or abnormalities.

Thirdly, the risk of actually getting cancer from a CT scan is so insanely low it is truly not worth thinking about. Millions upon millions of CT scans are performed every year. It is well worth the "risk" to get a better understanding of what is causing you discomfort.

Lastly, IBS is diagnosed through a process of elimination. The CT scan will not diagnose IBS, but it will prove that something else other than IBS is not causing your symptoms and that is very important to do. So you are on the right track. Your doctor sounds smart. Trust them and relax. You truly will be fine 😃

• Posted

Thank you NC10!!

Do you know if the CT can see if what I have is IBD?

• Posted

Hey Sarah, I completely agree with NC10...You should go for Ct scan with contrast, I also Had that 2 times ....Nothing to worry...DOn't worry about the side effects, It is not worth considering given the benefits.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I have had a few MRI/Dye scans, nothing to worry about, you will just get a little warn feeling when they pump the dye into you, it sometimes makes you feel like you have wet your pants. I also had the colonoscopy done. I remember how quick it was. I was talking to the doctor at 9:55am and was sitting up watching TV eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of tea at 10:17am. You will be fine these are very minor procedures.

• Posted

Thank you Patrick! I go in at 1 pm tomorrow. Hoping it is all quick and clear.

• Posted

I know it's been 3 months since you posted but I'll reply anyway in case other people come reading this with the same concerns. I've had many CT scans and no side effects. My appendix ruptured in 2009 and since I had just given birth by c-section only days before it took four CT scans over 2 days before they discovered the cause of the pain. I had a pulmonary embolism only 2 weeks after that, so another 2 CT scans then and one more about 6 months later to make sure the PE was clear. It's been almost 10 years and I haven't had any issues. I have brought it up with several of my doctors over the past 10 years and they say the risk of cancer is extraordinarily low even in someone who, like me, had a number of scans within a short period of time. The benefit considerably outweighs the risk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.