CT Scan to diagnose anal/rectal cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey yall, i am 31 and have been dealing with rectal pressure/anal itching for around 3 months. I had a colonscopy done which was clear, and 2 anoscopys and the colorectal surgeons see nothing but some internal hemorhoids. Ive also had abdominal pain intermittently so my urologist has now ordered a Pelvic CT and an Abdominal CT. Can these 2 CT scans detect cancer? A normal person would probably feel healthy after a clear colonoscopy but my mind still goes worst case scenario. Is the thought of an anal cancer or rectal cancer being missed by a colonoscopy/2 ct scans/and 2 anoscopies ridiculous?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

A CT scan is very sensitive and can detect tumors; however, colonoscopy is more sensitive. An abdominal/pelvic CT scan exposes you to very high doses of radiation, which can increase chances of getting cancer 10-20+ years later. A typical pelvic/abdominal CT can result in anywhere from 7-14 times the amount of normal background radiation humans are exposed to per year. This depends on whether they repeat the scan using contrast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.