CT scan vs Stress test

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my dad had a stress test due to chest pain a couple months ago that was clear. Recently had CT chest that showed extensive coronary arthrosclerosis. Seems hard to believe that would have deveolped in 2 months. Would you trust a stress test over a CT?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't seem possible that atherosclerosis could develop to that extent in such

a short amout of time.  I guess I would favor the CT over the stress test.

• Posted

I've had three stress tests that produced false positives... later angiograms were clear. I suppose in the same way they can fail to detect arthrosclerosis whereas the CT or MR scan sees all. 

• Posted

I agree with Derek. I think its simply that CT scans show up abnormalities that cant be seen on a stress test. Its normal practice to have a stress test followed by a CT scan for this reason. Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

If I had been given a CT scan it would have saved me from having an invasive angiogram that involved a ten week wait. As I had already been diagnosed with aortic stenosis it would also have got me on the surgery waiting list that much sooner.
    • Posted

Derek, thats awful that you should have to wait ten weeks for an angiogram. I was given an angiogram within a week of being admitted to hospital after my collapse and admission. Its scary how things can vary from hospital to hospital, and all wrong ! For me it was the other way round, I had to wait 3 months for a CT scan after the angiogram. Oh well, we are still here !
    • Posted

Previous to the angiogram I had waited 17 weeks for a stress echo cardiogram. I only got that by phoning and getting a cancellation that they were not even going to offer to anyone. When I had a cardiology appointment four days later the cardiologist had not been given the results and he could not find the doctor who had been at the procedure.

I told him that it indicated that two arteries might be partially blocked but two previous stress tests that had indicated that were false positives.  

I then found that they only did four stress echo cardiograms a week with the equipment that had been provided by a charity. After I complained and had a meeting with the head of cardiology he put his hands up to all of their failings and said that they were now doing ten a week. My angiogram that took nearly an hour was put down to part of the learning process of the registrar who had performed it.

• Posted

Good grief, you have had a rough time ! The last time I saw the cardiologist he said he needed to increase all my medications on a sliding scale and he would write to my GP to tell her the dosages and time lapses to prescribe. After several weeks my GP had still not had a letter so I rang the Cardiologists' secretary. She said the letter had not gone out to my GP as when the doctor was dictating the letter the tape had run out half way through - I didnt know whether to laugh or cry ! As my old Mum used to say "eat your greens" and hope for the best !
    • Posted

When I phoned the hospital I was to go for sugery after four weeks I was told that they had no record of me. I phoned the referring hospital and was told that Dr X was a bit behind with his paperwork. When I phoned again the next week as nothing had happened I found thsat he had been on holiday all of that time.

How many times have you been prescribed something contra indicated and dangerous to you? But for Google I would have been at least twice. 

The patient is now the last line of defence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.