CT scan with contrast

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a CT scan three weeks ago because blood tests showed iron deficiency anaemia. No results as yet but an appointment to see consultant is on 25th October. Is it normal to wait so long to see consultant after a scan? My GP doesn't have the results either.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If it was anything serious seen,  they would have contacted you a day or two later. They are prob taking time because nothing serious was seen.

Anything bad like a mass, they are obligated to tell you right away so you can get into dr.

• Posted

Agree with Joe's post, any thing serious, and they will fall over themselves to get news to you ASAP. 

I unfortunately, got caught with a similar situation, but much more serious, tests taken and the hospital, and told not to worry, came home a day later after shopping, and their was a handwritten note in my letter box, without a stamp on it, somebody must have hand delivered, please contact hospital urgently, gave the Dr's name and phone number, they saw me the following day, as soon as I read that letter I knew it was going to be bad news, so No news is good news in your case.

• Posted

I entirely agree with views of others. I am sure nothing serious. How much has been your Hb lately?
  • Posted

What is the exact problem? And which type of pain you feel?
    • Posted

I haven't had pain as such, I do have IBS but was referred for a scan after blood tests showed I had iron deficiency anaemia. My GP thought it could be a caused a by colorectal cancer. Also blood tests for coeliac disease but haven't got those results either.

• Posted

If it was cancer, they would have been in touch with you within a day or two or they would be liable 
    • Posted

Results of imaging or labs have to be given via doc so that patient does not get those without interpretation of professional.

Sometimes there is a long waiting time to see that doc, hence getting to those results is artificially delayed (I don't like that either).

If something obvious to the blind eye was discovered, that needed immediate attention, you will get informed prior October appointment.

We often have to wait months before getting a result due to waiting list for an appointment.

Now, one thing though is, that if your doc wants to rule out blood loss via a colonic pathology (that seems to have been the indication),

no CT or blood test will be as good as a colonoscopy,

if you want to rule out coeliac disease, you need a gastroscopy, that goes into duodenum and takes a biopsy there. (or a blood genetic testing, yet, many have the gene, but not switched on).

You  need scopes as a best tool to rule out gastrointestinal issues for blood loss.

(can be also simply a benign blood leaking ulcer, not only cancer...... why is everything always so 'cancer' focused?).

There is 'calprotectin' in stool to give a hint for inflammatory bowel diseases,

there are bowel cancer screen tests in stool,

that you might want to consider prior scopes.

Only if those together with CT and blood antibodies/ (or genetics?) were negative, I would stay away from scopes,

but otherwise scopes are the only real colorectal cancer and celiac exclusion tools.

Best of luck!

Looking good.

• Posted

Thanks for the information, it has been very helpful. The consultant did say that he would recommend a colonoscopy if anything showed up on CT scan. I am hopeful that, as I haven't heard anything, this won't be necessary.

• Posted

Hi Shadylady

Your doc will get the results....and i'm afraid these days you do have to wait a while to see a consultant ....i waited approx 2 months after a scan to see a consultant...but your doc should get the results way before your appointment with the consultant...best wishes...

• Posted

I saw the consultant on 1st August and he referred me for a scan. Hospital said results would be ready in two weeks, scan was on 10th August. Was concerned as haven't had results but have a consultant appointment for 25th October.

• Posted

Like I said, it would be malpractice if there was really  something wrong and they didn't inform you right away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.