CT Scans How Many Have You Had?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My consultant on the last appointment was reluctant to send me for a CT scan as I've already had three kidney stone related scans. I opted for Ultrasound which I am waiting for he decided to leave it to six months after my lithoripsy. How many CTs have you had? I wonder should I be concerned about them.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi....In the past 4 years i have had between 10 to 17 CT scans and also 10 operations on my kidney stone.  I was told that the CT wasnt that harmful??  Im not glowing yet so presume im ok.
  • Posted

I honestly cannot even tell you how many scans I have had over the years. I've been passing stones since 1988 and I know I've had probably way more scans than I should have. I may try to do a lil research to get a number on the amount of scans I've had over the years because that's a very good question! I had a scan in November 2015 when I was passed a 7mm stone and again in April when we were waiting for the 2nd 7mm stone to pass. In April they admitted me for 3 days but then the pain of the stone subsided so the Dr and I decided to release me and wait until the stone became a problem again before we did anything about it. Well, a couple weeks ago the stone was acting up again so I went back to the ER and the Dr was being rude and lecturing me and telling me I'm going to get cancer and he didn't want to do another scan so I agreed to an ultrasound but when that didn't "show" the stone that I "FEEL" I insisted on a scan and he was mad! I was told by the person doing the scan that he saw the 7mm stone and many little ones but when the Dr. came back in my room after reviewing the results I was expecting an apology but i guess his ego is too big! He told me that there were only little stones and I did the scan for nothing and now I'm going to get cancer! I know for an absolute fact that the stone is still there because I feel it and can point to exactly where its been since it began passing! I also know for a fact that I never passed it and a 7mm stone doesn't just "disappear!!"

• Posted

I think the Doc is so unprofessional. I've read a lot and had it explained the risk which is very low.

• Posted

In the last four years i have had more catscans than i remember but more that 15. Atleast ten of which were in a 2 month period. I have not had any major problems. I definitely feel drained after revieving the iv contrast and the liquid ones are horrendous taisting. If the iv is not right it can pop the vein which really hurts. But no glowing, hair loss, or lumps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.