CTR and PCO

Posted , 3 users are following.

In continuing to prepare/plan for cataract surgery, I've been looking into specifically my use case as an extremely high myope and stumbled across something I thought others here might find interesting.

I was researching PCO in particular to high myopia, and came across this study you can find if you search for the phrase "Intraocular Lens Power, Myopia, and the Risk of Nd:YAG Capsulotomy after 15,375 Cataract Surgeries". According to this study, the more myopic you are (most likely because the lens is thinner) the more likely you are to develop PCO after cataract surgery.

Then I thought to myself "as I had a vitrectomy and am a high myope, they will most likely want to use a CTR, I wonder if that has any affect on PCO, positive or negative?". I then came across this study you can find if you search for the phrase "Influence of capsular tension ring on posterior capsule opacification in myopic eyes". It's a very small study compared to the first, but it found a CTR decreases the percentage area of PCO and Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy rate but doesn't fully prevent it.

Reduced PCO would certainly interest anyone, but looking into more information about CTRs I came across this study you can find if you search for the phrase "Effects of capsular tension ring on surgical outcomes of premium intraocular lens in patients with suspected zonular weakness". In it they found that using a CTR with a toric lens led to better alignment, but with multifocals due to reduced tilt also led to much better intermediate visual acuity. That's two benefits right there for CTRs.

There are different CTRs designed and manufactured differently that may have different effects on PCO (This is mentioned in the discussion section of the second study I mention above), need to do more research on that and if they are available where I am. To me this does raise an interesting question though: If a CTR is available that is going to greatly reduce the percentage of PCO and the odds you will need to do a Yag AND provide better visual acuity, would you want one even if you didn't require it? Would your cataract surgeon use one if you requested it? With my severe myopia they will probably use them for me, but I'm curious to know if the benefits in these studies apply to normal eyes and if a surgeon would use them if you requested it. Anyone happen to have looked into this or have any information they can share?

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.