Cure - Manuka Honey

Posted , 6 users are following.

First time posting, I swore I’d share if I found something that works and I did! So I’ve had Blepharitis since 2012 (the dry kind that leaves you with horrible crusty flakey lashes) and have been trying to control it since then.

I came across a post about wet ones I think maybe 2 years later and for the last three years I’ve been using them to keep the crusting at bay. However as soon as I go a day without using them the whole sorry mess would be back and it would then take several weeks again for all the crusting to die down. The wet ones then started to irritate the skin under my eyes, and I finally decided that I was sick of controlling the issue and would find a way to fix it.

About two months ago I read a post on here about someone who had used Manuka honey (thank you to whoever that was!) and decided to give it a shot. The flakey crusts on my lashes that would normally take forever to go away when using other methods was gone the very next day! And since then I have not had a single episode! And I would sometimes forget to apply the Manuka for two or three days. This was crazy for me!

The honey I bought has a 10+ antibacterial rating and I just smear it on top of my lashes, under my eyes and almost on my water line. I would leave it on for about an hour then rinse off with warm water. That’s it! Good luck lovely people!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaly,

Thank you for this post.....I am the one who posted my blepharitis cure with manuka honey.....

Thank you for thinking of others and returning to post your good news.....if we can get the word out, maybe many will be spared the horrors of this disease. ....

Dawn

• Posted

Dawn,

Thank YOU, your post was a Godsend! And so true about getting the word out. My doctor didn’t even know what it was and gave me a steroid for my “eye eczema”! We need to start taking charge of our own health. Who knew the solution was something as simple as honey?

Again, thank you!

Kaly

• Posted

You are so welcome. ....my eye doctor was upset when he saw I didn't have blepharitis anymore....he asked what I had done and told me he would not condone honey....you would think he would have been happy for me.....I was shocked.....

So happy you are beating this....

Happy New Year!!!

• Posted

Kaly, did it get rid of the inflammation?
    • Posted

Hi Dena,

I don’t have any eye symptoms anymore, not sure what you mean by inflammation do you mean the swollen lids and itching? That’s gone too! And my sister just commented that my lashes are looking really good these days 😁 so I think it would get rid of all symptoms. Try it, what do you have to lose?

Good luck!

• Posted

Happy New Year all!

While I am under contro with a myriad of products that I’ve listed on other posts, I too would like for it to be gone or at least in remission!  I tried the Manuka honey, but found it hard to apply, that is, I could not spread it across my eye lids easily/evenly. Do you dilute it?

• Posted

Happy new year smile

Well I know Dawn applied them with a q-tip I think undiluted however I also found it difficult to do so what I did was to wash my hands then spoon up the honey and put it on my wet hands. It was then slightly diluted with water and a lot easier to smear on. 

Hope this works for you!

• Posted

Also forgot to mention the Manuka I used says Active Honey10+ and MGO263+. I had tried using one that had a lower rating and it didn’t work so make sure you splurge a little. You WILL notice results almost immediately. 
  • Posted

I've tried the Manuka Honey twice with no positive results.  How long did it take for you to see any improvement?

• Posted

Hello, sorry for the super late reply. Well at first I used the Manuka honey on my lower water line. I would then close my eyes and it would BURN terribly for around a minute and that was it. I had immediate (and I'm talking immediate results, immediate stopping of itching, crusting, eyelash loss). After a while however I thought i could get away with putting the honey a bit lower down (to avoid the extreme pain/burning) but within a month all my symptoms came back! I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong, until I accidentally got it on my water line again, with immediate symptom relief. My lashes had been falling out for weeks (around four/five a day) and with the honey I don't have a single eyelash falling out.

So could that be the reason you aren't having results?? Put the honey on your water line, it's super fiddly and painful for a good minute but well worth it. And I think if you continue for a good three months, all thats causing the bleph should be long dead, so you can stop after (or at least thats what I'm hoping). Manuka is an absolute life saver!!! Good luck! I hope you find success with it.

• Posted

The honey I tried was 11+.  Not sure about the other numbers you posted.  I applied with a Q-tip to the upper lid lash line.
    • Posted

Apply it to your lower water line and close your eyes. It will burn and you won't be able to open your eyes for a minute or two but its the only way the manuka works. This way it also gets to the hair roots of both your upper and lower lid lashes and washes out the crusting because of the tears that follow application. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.