Curious about a couple of things on tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Everyone! 

I am 5 1/2 months on my tkr. I pretty much got my life back and that feels good.

?Like most people I still have my stiffness in mornings and sitting for a while. Also still get little swelling in right knee when I am on it for little while can go up and down stairs fairly easy.

I am curious on something? Has anyone been able to cross their legs? (Meaning in sitting down can anyone cross their operated leg to the other thigh) I can only get my foot to the other knee cap.

?I also want too encourage others in don't expect your recovery to be like others who had tkrs done. For example: I met a guy at the store about a week ago and he had his tkr done with in a week of mine. He was still using his walker to get around and can barely walk without it.

And I am in better shape in my recovery.

?My sister in law had both her knees done the last one about a month before mine.and she has no stiffness or pain. she latterly has her life back with no complications. wish i was that way sometimes.

?but everyone is different and don't let your recovery get you down. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ronnie, I am maybe a couple of weeks behind you and I have a lot of what you have. I can cross my operated leg not always comfortable at first but can do it. I suffer going downstairs can do it very slowly one at a time or quickly going down operated leg to stair then good leg lol. Going up is pretty good. But stiffness and some swelling still remain. It’s  exhausting sometimes this recovery lol. A lot of work ~ hang I need there.
  • Posted

Sounds likenyounare doing great. Things continueto progress a lot, even up to a year. I am 11 months post op and th difference between now and 6 months is amazing.

I can cross my legs but I don't think it is a good way to sit so I don't tend to do it.

Yoga and swimming are very beneficial as is a nice sauna!

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

• Posted

Hi Ronnie im 14 weeks post tkr and my knee is like you said stiff in the mornings and sitting and standing but overall my knee feels wonderful. I can cross my leg but it’s not really advised to do so so I don’t really do it. I go to the gym and do the bicycle and treadmill and leg lifts and that has really helped me a lot in all of the progress of my knee. My swelling keeps going down and really proud of it. It sounds like your right on course with your progress. Good job.  I was wondering tho if anyone else has the problem of hurting in the back of your knee. I do and strecting helps but still there. Glad your doing good. 
    • Posted

Hello Deb

Thank you for your reply. I guess eventually I'll be able to cross my leg.

As for pain in back of knee..I don't have pain in back of knee. My pain is on the left side of right knee cap. Have had this pain and tender spot since week 5. My doctor didn't say what it might be. It's like a dull tooth ache. And it hurts the most is at night when I'm sleeping.

I also stretch a lot too and it helps.

Good luck on your recovery

• Posted

I have that same knee pain, just as you described. I am seeing a very aggressive physical therapist who pushes me to intense pain. I chalk it up to him. Since I began seeing him, my sleep has suffered. Can't wait to be shut of him!

One thing I use thst helps is Arnica gel.

When you figure out what you think might be causing your pain and/or any tricks you learn that helps, please share. Best of luck on the crazy ride!

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

I am 4 months post tkr and knee cap.I still suffer with stiffness and the pains in the knee that you describe. Neither my physio or consultant can determine exactly what is causing it. I have ultrasound on it and that seems to help. <y bend is only 110 and I cannot straighten my leg and do leg lifts. Apparently sometimes the muscles during the op can be compromised! However, I am back riding my horses and going to the gym and swimming so hopefully as Jenny says I will get there!

Good luck with your recovery.

Teela

• Posted

I’m off the opinion that it depends on where you had it done and the surgeon who carried out the op

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.