Curious about symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have not been diagnosed but have an appointment with GP coming up. I have spent 10 years with fatigue, joint pain, muscle pain, bronze skin discoloration, migraines, diabetes disturbed sleep, arthritis, hip bursitis, pancreatitis, diverticulitis, heart palpitations, etc. I had ask my previous dr about hemochromatosis but he blew me off, saying it’s very rare and that the discoloration taking over my arms and face was sun damage. I went to have bloodwork done last week and they took 5 large vials of blood. I felt better that day than I have get in years!!!!  I think my symptoms fit so I am going to insist on testing. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That's a lot of blood tests.  Obviously your new dr is checking out a lot of issues.  Surely they would include Iron Studies, and depending on those results, could lead to a genetic test.

If negative, go donate blood on a regular basis, as long as the Blood Bank allows any medications you may be taking for all those problems.

• Edited

jennifer64197,

You have most of the symptoms that I had in the build-up to being diagnosed with HH (C282Y homozygous).

At diagnosis, 3 years after the menopause, my serum ferritin was 387 and my transferrin saturation was 89%.

It took 18 months of venesections for these to normalise - my haematologist keeps my ferritin below 50 and doesn't like it being above - she says I will have symptoms if it is higher than 50.

My skin is now a normal colour, I have no heart palpitations, my hip bursitis was treated with a cortisone injection and is much better, my headaches have gone, my skin doesn't itch so much, I don't snore any more and I sleep better.

On the down side, my feet and ankles were too badly damaged to be improved so I have mobility problems which I have to manage and my hair falls out a lot so I go to a trichologist for treatment every 3 weeks.

I hope you are able to have a proper diagnosis because if you have HH it can be treated and you can stay healthy as anyone else would.

• Posted

Thank you both!  I had the blood work done last week for hemochromatosis and the genetic test. Still waiting for results. I definitely have all the symptoms, so anxious for the results!  I will post when I know more!
  • Posted

Well. Got my results back and dr says it is negative for hemochromatosis, and ferretin and trans-Ferrin sat was normal. He would not give me numbers over the phone. I have an appointment tomorrow to look at results. I just don’t understand...I have every symptom down to the bronze discoloration!  I don’t know where to go from here. There was no doubt that having a large amount of blood drawn made me feel so much better. 
    • Posted

Push him to investigate further along other lines.  Just because you don't have haemochromatosis does not mean that you don't have something else.  The symptoms of HH are often very similar to other issues.

• Posted

Well. Got my results back and dr says it is negative for hemochromatosis, and ferretin and trans-Ferrin sat was normal. He would not give me numbers over the phone. I have an appointment tomorrow to look at results. I just don’t understand...I have every symptom down to the bronze discoloration!  I don’t know where to go from here. There was no doubt that having a large amount of blood drawn made me feel so much better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.