Curious about the nature of ms symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im new to this and I just have a few questions regarding the nature of symptoms by anyone who knows anything about ms. My biggest question is can symptoms be intermittent on an hour by hour basis and come and go frequently or are symtoms typically constant and unrelenting through out an episode? Are the symptoms usually severe or just enough to grab your attention during an episode. Are sensations usually felt in a paticular area or usually an entire limb? Any information is really appreciated thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Everyone's differant my symtoms can be either yes they can change quickly

And they can hang about for a while to the hug isb probably the worst pain I get

Although fatigue is probably the worst symtom.

• Posted

Hi Paul

Well MS is a bit mysterious because although there a many symptoms, it will affect each person differently.

Some of the symptoms do come and go, while others may stay around longer.  As far as the length of a symptom

hanging on, would be determined on what stage of MS you are in.  

Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS). This is the most common form of multiple sclerosis. 

Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS). In SPMS, symptoms worsen more steadily over time, with or without the occurrence of relapses and remissions.

Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS)   and  Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS)

Because MS affects the brain which affects the central nervous system, it really depends where the most nerve

damage has occurred as to what part of the body is affected.  Most people will experience extreme fatigue,

balance issues with walking as if you were drunk or medicated.  Numbness in certain areas of the body,

tingling, pins & needles type feelings. Problems with cognitive function.  Like I mentioned it depends on where the nerve damage has occurred.  I would start a journal and write down what you are experiencing.  Does it come briefly or hang around. Does it go away completely, or gets worse.  A Neurologist will exam you for strength, and motor skills, such as response time, and balance & coordination.  If necessary an MRI scan of the brain is done to see if there are any lesions that would be present for MS diagnosis.  You can also have lesions on the spinal cord from the neck down to the lower back region.  The MRI Brain Scan does not hurt at all.

It is just very noisy inside the tube you lay in.  If you have more questions, you can email me if you wish.

All the Best to You.  Take care.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.