Curiousity

Posted , 4 users are following.

Why do our posts have to be approved by a moderator when they contain a web address when the Google ads down the side of the screen contain many which are only there to sell their products, and some look decidedly dodgy?? Also, can someone explain to me why this side list is allowed to prey on people's health fears to the extent that it can advertise a \"cure\" for emphysema??

Jacee

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good morning

Unfortunately, the ads on the side are run by Google.

We do try to monitor these as best as we can but their advert pool is enormous and we don't really have the resources to watch them throughout the day.

If anyone finds any of their ads offensive, we are able to block them - we would just need to know the relevant website.

Regards

Lin

• Posted

Thanks Lin, that explains it.

Talking of adverts that are ment to frighten us. How many on the tv are there that have the power to scare people. They are shown over and over again re inforcing their message.

• Posted

What ads? I haven't got any, not in the forum areas anyway. I just see these pages and a border of pale grey each side? Perhaps its 'cause I don't have microsoft or whatever its called. I have 'ubuntu' and then to get internet I use 'mozilla firefox'. Not that I understand that of which I speak, my son set it all up for me and for some reason he doesn't like microsoft - I think he said something about it having mistakes or glitches or something. Also don't think he likes the microsoft philosophy ie, they took something invented by a Brit and given to the world for free (internet) , and used it to make billions for themselves. Or something like that. Anyway, we use 'ubuntu' which also was freely given, and supposedly superior to, though less common than, microsoft. Sorry, getting long winded again, but still didn't realise people got 'adverts'. Van
  • Posted

My son set mine up and also hates the Microsoft concept. I use Firefox but still get the adverts. They are obviously geared to this site and offer treatment and \"cures for emphysema, COPD, etc. Not very nice. If I were you I'd keep quiet or you may be liable to charges for not having to read them!!!! (only kidding)

Jacee

• Posted

This is one of the more offensive ads.

Emphysema Cure

Fast & permanent Emphysema treatment with 100% guarantee.

www.Hysmeton.com

Jacee

• Posted

Wow Jacee, the web address made it through-- congratulations!

Had a look at the site. Have to admit that' though I hadn't seen this particular one before, I did come across some like it when just after diagnosis and still feeling shell shocked, I would sit here through the night desperately looking for 'cures' - but thats probably when they catch people, when they're in a state. Thankfully I was too broke to be able to buy any on a knee jerk reaction as they're never cheap, so by the time I thought about it in the light of day I would come too my senses.

Once or twice I have had to argue myself out of a purchase as I have really wanted to believe it. Oddly enough its not the pseudo science that stops me but the terrible mistakes in the English language and their obvious ignorance of their subject. Nowhere was FEV1 mentioned for example, or from the couple of pages I just read - the term COPD seems unknown to them.

Once again well done you for getting the web address through, you rebel !

:twisted:

• Posted

You are quite right. That's when they get people, when they are feeling vulnerable, and scared especially if they have just been diagnosed.

Tessa

• Posted

Yes, far too many charlatans feed on fear and it can cost a lot if you get taken in, not just money but hope and self respect. It's not the same but a self-employed friend of mine lost a lot to a dodgy accountant. She said it made her feel so stupid, and as well as losing the money she lost her business. There should be better safeguards. The ad I highlighted promised a \"cure\" for an incurable disease. Tessa, Lin, can we not block the dodgy ones somehow?

Jacee

• Posted

I am too impatient I know - I have contacted Google and made them aware of the ad I found so particularly offensive. Don't know if it will do any good though - money talks, and I don't have much!

Jacee

• Posted

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they take notice of you Jacee.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi

I have managed to locate and block the site mentioned above. We have a policy we must follow in order to locate the offending url and it can take up to 24 hours to be removed, so hopefully this will now work - many thanks!

• Posted

Thanks tinmb22, send them packing! Van
  • Posted

Thank you

Jacee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.