Curly frizzy hair

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is in response to a previous discussion about the effects of prednisone on hair. I used to have naturally curly hair and with age it straightened. I went back on prednisone for about 6 months at 5-10 mgs per day. The left side of my got curly/frizzy and the right side stayed straight. I have been off prednisone now for 8 weeks and it's not changed. I also have lost volume. I'm told it will take up to 6 months to work out. yuck.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It has to grow out unfortunately! But it does ...

Which side of your head do you sleep on?

• Posted

I used to have fine, very straight hair. After several years of high doses of pred, it started going wavy and thicker. I'm now on only 5mg and theres no sign of it changing. I like it and hope it doesn't change.

• Posted

Mine was thick, wiry, straight. On pred, it went curly. Loved it. Off pred, it went straight up like audience hands at a pop concert. Now gone straight down like hay stack. Sigh.

• Posted

Karen,

To help with the volume problem,try a tablet of folic acid every day. On the higher doses of pred my hair was falling out. I checked with my gp about taking folic acid to give it a boost and he said no problem. Within a couple of months hair much better an by about the 6month stage it was back to normal. Of course,I was also reducing pred as well,but I do feel folic acid helps maintain the condition. Also, my nails have never been so strong too!

Regards,

Barbara

• Posted

When I was taking chemo my hair got curly. After about 2 yrs. it went straight again. Now that I've been on 20-5 mg. of steroids my hair is curly again except for the bang area. It's straight as string. I know the curls must come from steroids.

I am sorry to hear you lost volume. My rheumatologist ordered folic acid. Which has helped with losing my hair. You may want to check on the folic acid. It's a RX drug because of the mgs.

Hope you are feeling better.

Irene

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.