Curly hair

Posted , 19 users are following.

I know that this is not a serious or worrying problem but it is puzzling... And I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it. It has made me laugh, which is always a good thing and a novelty for a steroid side effect.... I am presuming it is a side effect.

I started on 15mg Prednsolone in July 2014, I am now 70 and for these 70 years I have had straight hair.. Very straight hair.... 2 weeks ago, while reducing to 8mg, my hair became wavy / curly... What?...  It hasnt changed in texture at all but what's with the curls?

Does anybody know, will my hair stay like this once I come off the steroids? 

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My hair is very fine and hasn't changed. How I'd love to have curly, or even bouncy, hair. But yes, my nails which were always soft and breaking, are now quite strong. No doubt thanks to the calcium/vit D.
  • Posted

My hair is very fine and hasn't changed. How I'd love to have curly, or even bouncy, hair. But yes, my nails which were always soft and breaking, are now quite strong. No doubt thanks to the calcium/vit D.
  • Posted

my hair changed from tight curls to much looser curls, at least the bit of hair I have left, lol. i've lost a bit since taking pred. the change in hair texture was pretty freaky since it was unexpected. hoping things go back to "normal" as I get to a lower dose. doesn't feel  like my hair. then again, nothing on my body seems like my body anymore...
  • Posted

Don't know but as a child I had curly hair then as an adult it got straight now on pred I have curly hair so I say came in with curls going out with curls I'm in my late 70's
  • Posted

My hair used to be fine, oily, brown and slightly wavy but after 18 months on prednisolone it has become grey, very curly, dry and completely out of control. In a rash moment about 4 months ago I cut off the brown part of my pony tail while it was tied up quite high on my head leaving about one inch of grey hair in the pony tail. The pony tail looked pretty stupid then when I washed my hair it went very curly and felt a like cotton wool. I was no longer able to get it back into a pony tail.

It was the really difficult to get a comb through even after applying copious amounts of high quality conditioners. Since then it has grown curlier and wilder and I still cant get it back into a pony tail. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and look at myself in the mirror in complete disbelief. My husband occasionally laughs at me then too.

Lately I've started going out without even brushing or combing my hair first because it seems pointless, it just pulls out my hair, which is painful and achieves nothing. When I bump into people they are clearly shocked by my new appearance. They then often make compliments about my curly, grey hair and the new look but somehow I don't believe them. Personally I think I look completely mad.

It has been very reassuring to fund and read this forum today about other people suffering similar changes in hair after taking prednisolone while suffering from PMR. Maybe because of the increasing curls it doesn't ever seem long enough to tie back into a ponytail. I sometimes wonder if my hair has stopped growing but it probably hasn't. My once straight fringe is now just a mass of uncontrollable ringlets. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it! Does anyone know if our hair goes back to normal if we ever stop taking prednisolone?

• Posted

My hair used to be fine, oily, brown and slightly wavy but after 18 months on prednisolone it has become grey, very curly, dry and completely out of control. In a rash moment about 4 months ago I cut off the brown part of my pony tail while it was tied up quite high on my head leaving about one inch of grey hair in the pony tail. The pony tail looked pretty stupid then when I washed my hair it went very curly and felt a like cotton wool. I was no longer able to get it back into a pony tail.

It was the really difficult to get a comb through even after applying copious amounts of high quality conditioners. Since then it has grown curlier and wilder and I still cant get it back into a pony tail. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and look at myself in the mirror in complete disbelief. My husband occasionally laughs at me then too.

Lately I've started going out without even brushing or combing my hair first because it seems pointless, it just pulls out my hair, which is painful and achieves nothing. When I bump into people they are clearly shocked by my new appearance. They then often make compliments about my curly, grey hair and the new look but somehow I don't believe them. Personally I think I look completely mad.

It has been very reassuring to fund and read this forum today about other people suffering similar changes in hair after taking prednisolone while suffering from PMR. Maybe because of the increasing curls it doesn't ever seem long enough to tie back into a ponytail. I sometimes wonder if my hair has stopped growing but it probably hasn't. My once straight fringe is now just a mass of uncontrollable ringlets. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it! Does anyone know if our hair goes back to normal if we ever stop taking prednisolone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.