Curly hair

Posted , 19 users are following.

I know that this is not a serious or worrying problem but it is puzzling... And I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it. It has made me laugh, which is always a good thing and a novelty for a steroid side effect.... I am presuming it is a side effect.

I started on 15mg Prednsolone in July 2014, I am now 70 and for these 70 years I have had straight hair.. Very straight hair.... 2 weeks ago, while reducing to 8mg, my hair became wavy / curly... What?...  It hasnt changed in texture at all but what's with the curls?

Does anybody know, will my hair stay like this once I come off the steroids? 

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hmm, my hair has always been wavy, but I now have less of it and it stays wet from perspiration ! We have such interesting quirks, Ann11195
    • Posted

I have the hot sweats, horrible, and my hairdresser says I have lost hair, but because it has become curly it is not so noticeable. 
  • Posted

Oh I would have stayed on pred forever if myhair had gone curly.

But I did have wonderful nails for the first time in my life, long, hard and a joy to paint nail varnish on.

Now off pred and back to eating a jelly cube a day to help the nails grrrrrrrrr.

• Posted

I had forgotten about the strong nails. I was not sure if that was the pred or the vit D. The only trouble is every so often I manage to scratch my face with my super talons. I am a bit like Edward Scissorhand! 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness!!!!  I didn't even notice!!! Wow! My nails ARE stronger!

Though still have wrinkly ridges on top. Gee, even filed them today and didn't realize they are stronger...I've never had nice nails, always split, break, ...not a nail gal... So funny Lodger and Ptolemy! smile  thanks! 

• Posted

I remeber my mum used to get us to eat jelly cubes for strong nails, i like the black currant one best.

Since i have been on VitC and Vit D tablets my nails have never been as good . Mags

• Posted

Yes.. Along with the curls I now have strong nails that grow quickly...at least these are bonus side effects to make up for all the horrid ones.
    • Posted

Me, too!biggrin​  Like you, my hair also remained stubbornly straight, and my nails grew hard and strong for the first time in my life.  However, unlike you, my nails seem to have remained strong - I'm putting it down to using a crystal nail file which a friend recommended.  Very expensive but my nails never flake like they used to when using an emery board.  Bet I've tempted fate and one will go and break now!
    • Posted

Ah, but wise one, your shared an interesting solution to nails I've never heard of... A crystal file.  My nails used to always split and flake too, very thin. 

So may your fate remain unbroken. wink 

• Posted

Mine is a Leighton Denny - there are cheaper ones available but I prefer the Leighton Denny ones.
  • Posted

My hair has always been very fine & curly I'm having the opposite problem with my prednione. It turned my hair to straw and it's very coarse and unruly. I looked like a giant Brillo pad most of the time (I'm not kidding!!! lol) until I found Wen cleanser/conditioner and Argan oil. I can make it look somewhat decent now, but it's still a struggle.
    • Posted

Hi Vickie.... Mine is very curly,at the same time a bit course and like you use Argan Oil or Vita point... Makes hair shine at least. Best of luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.