Current medicine not working

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 77 and have had restless legs since in my early 20's.  Managed to go without prescription medicine, using alternative methods, until about 1 year ago.  I am currently taking Ropinirole, 0.25 mg, 3 times a day.  I suffer my symptoms mostly at night.  This regimen is no longer working.  I have tried Prampizole (not sure of spelling).  Had no success with it.  My Doctor is not very familiar with the syndrome so that what he prescribes is hit and miss. I have found that since I started on prescription medicine, if I miss a dose, my symptoms come back much worse than before.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Neupro (24 hr) patches have literally changed my life- started with 1mg and quickly progressed to 3mg. Have been using 3mg for about 3 years. I also have 0.5mg ropinirole at night.

My doctor had no idea either. I had to do the research and tell him what I wanted.  

The patches burn my skin but it it worth this for the relief from RLS.

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Sashalou

Why do you take both remedies. Does not the Neupro help at night?

Brian

• Posted

The Ropinirole seems to just take 'the edge' off on a night and helps me sleep

• Posted

Mary Louis

I am 71 and have been prescribed Ropinarole for at least 10 years. I take 3 x 1mg per day. The first one around 6pm then 10pm and then in the night around 3am.

I have tried alternative medicine such a acupuncture and Chinese herbs but they have no effect. I am unable to understand any cause and effect with RLS except the obvious which seem to encourage it i.e rich food, eating late at night and too much in one sitting. Alchohol also doesn't help but hey we need some enjoyment in life.

I,m finding that I get RLS more in the day now I am getting older. Perhaps its because o the bad cycle. i.e it is worse when I am tired and I get tired when I have RLS. Its a flaw in our makeup. Im sure our genes would never allow such a flaw!

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

reagrds

Brian

• Posted

Mary Louis are you on any other drugs for any condition?  I have had to take various drugs & some of them have caused RLS.

• Posted

I tried ropinirole and Pramipexole but could not tolerate either. I have been on Rotigotine-Neupro-for over a year and also take Tramulief. Sadly it is often a case of trial and error as what works for one doesn't work for someone else. I also take Gabapentin. I am relatively ok

• Posted

In reading Brians reply it occurred to me that it is possible I am taking the Ropinirole at the wrong times.  I have been taking it when I wake up, about 4 in the afternoon, and 1 hr before bed.  Since I do not seem to be bothered at much during the day it seems that the hours that Brians takes his makes more sense for me.  Also, since I have had this problem from when I was early 20's it wouldn't be caused by a medication as I didn't take any medicines until in my late 40's.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I have learned some new things that I can try.  Here's hoping a good nights sleep for everyone.  I sure could use one.

• Posted

I have been taking SIFROL which has been excellent, if I miss it I suffer if I am late in taking it I suffer, same time each night about two hours before sleep and I have a good night's rest,   occasionally a bad night but not often. Can never work out why.    Have heard several people saying LIPITOR for cholesterol aggravates RLS.    I do not know about that.

• Posted

I have same life pattern as you.  Began in 20's now in early 70s.  Sounds like you are augmenting on the Requip.  If you can get off fora few weeks, using something else then back on I found the Requip worked again.  Neutro patches work for many.  Unfortunately very shortly I had headaches that felt like having a stroke it was so bad.  I used perhaps half a dozen with progressive headaches.  I stopped immediately after blinding middle of the night headache.  I take Robaxin, a muscle relaxant and low

dose Requip about 1-2 hours before bed.  I don't have rls problems when up moving around during the day.  Robaxin was prescribed by  dr.  45 plus years ago and it worked for years.  Then I had to add Requip 15 or so years ago.  Gabapentin

(neurotin) added when I augment from Requip.  But after a break Reqip seems to work again.  I can only take 1/2 a .25, then if legs still jumping another 1/2 as Requip also

gives morning headaches.  I must be very susceptible.  Finally as my rls has

progressed to very painful at times I have to take Norco an opioid pain med.  No

problem with addiction as with the Robaxin, 1/2 a Requip and 10 mg of Norco the

jumping and twitching plus the aching and pain stop completely.   Important you find a

dr who knows something about this disease.  Often a neurologist rather than a general practitioner.  My dr said I knew more about the disease than he did.  You may have to

try different combos to see what works for you.  Good luck

• Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the removable washable cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.