currently in pain with catheter...does the pressure go away?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had my cyst lanced well over 40 times and this was the first time in the ER instead of my obgyn they inserted a catheter. I am still extremely sore and wondering if its from the balloon or the part hanging out of the incision. Does it stop being so painful? Bc when I would have it lanced n drained I felt immediate relief. Now I still feel a lot of pressure. Will this go away with the cath still in or will I feel this the entire time the cath is in? Im a waitress and walk a lot at work n there is no way I could have worked today. But I cant not work for 6 weeks ya know....???? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

40 times? wow, don't you have nerve damage by now ??
    • Posted

Lol I dont think so...not to sound stupid but how would I know? Omg I thought I was doing what my obgyn said. Now I feel like I went to a corner free clinic
  • Posted

Hi hun,

I understand the fear you have. The first week with the catheter was the worst. Everything will look and feel back to normal within a week. I suggest you take 15-20 mins sitz bath with epson salt with 2-3 timses a day. I personally like the water a little bit on the warmer side. Never use cold water. That will really help with the pressure and pain. Be strong because it will get better. The longer the catheter stays in you the less chance this will happen again. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding!  I went to the ER and was told to follow up with my OBGYN. She just lanced it a few weeks ago and they were having problems with my "basic womans care" insurance to cover it. So told me to either pay it in full to see her or go to rhe ER soooo....I went to the ER! While at the er they inserted a catheter which I've never had before!!! Then told me to follow up with me obgyn...I called to ask the nurse a question and the receptionist said that they didn't insert the cath so I would have to contact the er!!!!!! Wthell! I was furious! Then found a new obgyn. Fixing to go in an hour...she wants to see right away! While being in so much pain and not really knowing what a cath was all about..I've been soooo upset!

What have you experienced with the cath? Did it stay in for 4 weeks? Were u able to wipe, wash, bend, walk for hours, pick heavy things up without it falling out? How secure is it? Bc im scared its going to pop out lol and im praying this will work bc the next step would be manipulation. And I have no insurance...so...just sux all around! I get these cysts wayyyyy to often like every 4 months for the last 10 years and cant believe that they just now put in a cath. I thought id end up having to remove the gland all together but im only 36 and hate to do that! Ya know....

• Posted

That really sucks that you have had it that long and never been to the ER. I cant imagine have you feel. I have my catheter taken out after 5 weeks and now i feel 100%. And as for my experience... It was so frightening and i hated it. I didnt walk for a week. My boyfriend stood by me every min until I can finally started walking. Dont force yourself to walk or work hard because it can really make things worst. I took sitz bath often. Just pat to dry or air dry. After 2-3 weeks the catheter will be a lot more flexible. still i try to never put any pressure on the catheter. I didnt wear underwears or pants for 3 weeks. Just legging or shorts with a dress everyday. There are woman who never had it again after having the catheter for a month. The catheter is suppose to help your area breath correctly and heal your skin from the inside out. I dont know enough about what exactly what the catheter does so you're going to need to research about it or just have lots of questions to ask the doctor if you go for another check up.
    • Posted

Lol I just read my post and I said manipulation lol you know what I meant. I feel so much better now after talking with u and my new obgyn! Ty! Now hoping this stays in place for 4 weeks!!! Heres to never getting a bartholin cyst Ever AGaIn!!!! Take good care! :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.