Currently not working due to GERD?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am I the only one who has struggled to hold down a job while dealing with these awful symptoms?

The nausea and pain is so bad that today im having to leave my 3rd job this year for more time out because I just can't concentrate! I've never experienced nausea like it and along with that I do vomit regularly. Making it extremely hard to work anywhere.

I'm at a complete loss I have no idea what to do. Nothing is making my symptoms better and I'm terrified I'm going to be stuck like this forever. I missed out on university this year because of it and now I'm scared I won't be ok to go next year..

Anyone in the same boat?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, l had severe nausea daily for months, without vomiting or pain, other than discomfort from bloating in stomach, l went off food, lost weight, but the worst was the nausea, debilitating, worse on exertion, so understand how difficult it is to work with it. After chemists and gp meds didnt help l was seen by gastroenterologist, scan and scope showed some gastritus, put on omprazole, along with changing to small plain meals, no processed, l also stopped milk, eggs cheese, tinned food, just plain fresh, pots, veg, rice pasta chicken fish spring water, and it has settled 90percent be it the omp or diet. Ask your gp if you can see a gastroenterolgist to see whats going on with your stomach, best wishes
    • Posted

I've been on PPis for over a year and they don't work for me I too have a pretty plain diet already X
  • Posted

Hi abbie

Do you have any other symptoms apart from nausea and vomitting? Do you experience acid reflux and diarrhoea? You should definitely go to your doc and request an endoscopy or ct scan or ultrasound to see what is going on in your tum.

If you do get acid relux with the nausea and vomitting you may have H Pylori a bacteria which causes all sorts of stomach probs. It is very common and can be treated with antibiotics. The test is done via breath test or stool test, a blood test is not reliable to diagnose HPylori.

Go to your doc and request a HPylori test. If it is clear for HP then ask for an endoscopy, ct scan or ultrasound scan as a second opinion. That's what docs are there for go for it!!.....best wishes....

• Posted

I had it done in an endoscopy in July and it came back clear.. All the endoscopy showed was gastritis and a hiatal hernia. Doctors have said no to any more tests as they don't think I need them thank you anyway X
  • Posted

Try apples and see if it helps.  You also may want to try different probiotics, and eat better staying away from breads and sugars.  I am only suggesting what has helped me up to this point.  Hope it helps.  The apples work good!

• Posted

Hi welcome to the HH club lol. Its not nice to say the least.  OK, I take Pantopazole 20mg which as worked better than any of the the more common PPI.  Also take good old Gaviscon, but wait at least 2 hrs after taking your tab.  Works wonders, it can work out expensive so I try to take it only at night or when really needed.  Together these allow me to sleep amd work, just.  Sometimes at night I have to sleep (or doze should I say) in a chair even.  If theres no improvement in a few months I'd push for the repair!!  Oh, try to get rid of the wind after a meal as best as poss, if I can its ok if not its hell!!!!  HH dont give some people probs and others like us its hell, keep as calm as you can and view it as though your lucky to not have something worse, it can help abit. Oh, did you have sitting down jobs, I cant sit more than 20mins at the computer, the pain and reflux is so bad!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.