Cushing's, adrenal surgery, high cortisol day after?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mom just had a right adrenalectomy to remove 8 cm tumor. She has been diagnosed with Cushing's. Day after cortisol dropped from original reading of 31 to 28. Endocrinologist is concerned. Doing 24 hour urine test today. Waiting for pathology results on tumor. Has anyone else had a slow decline in cortisol with adrenal tumor removal? Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Last March I had my left adrenal gland removed because of a cortisol producing tumor.  My right adrenal gland wasn’t producing any cortisol, so I went from cushings to adrenal insufficiency over night. I was put on 30 mg of hydrocortisone and now I am taking 25 mg a day in three doses. How it was explained to me was because the tumor had been producing cortisol my right adrenal gland stopped working, or went to sleep, after the biopsy the cortex was half the size it should have been. And today I am still waiting for it to wake up.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing! What happened to you is exactly what we thought would happen to my mom, but unfortunately her cortisol after the removal if her right gland is still HIGH. It did drop the day after surgery but only from 31 to 28. We thought the drop would be sudden and in a large amount. I have read about a delayed reaction. Has anyone had a slow drop in cortisol after surgery?
    • Posted

Hello, can you please tell me if cushing is gone after your surgery? Thank you 
    • Posted

Yes my cushing’s is gone, I am being weaned off of hydrocortisone now post surgery March 2107 my right adrenal gland is waking up.  The plan is a 15week wean, I have nine weeks to go. Fingers crossed.
  • Posted

Hi, I’m not a doctor but I just had a benign 15cm tumour removed from my left adrenal gland. All I know is my endocrine doctor said it can take a few weeks for the one remaining adrenal to kick back into action.  
  • Posted

Hi, I’m not a doctor but I just had a benign 15cm tumour removed from my left adrenal gland. All I know is my endocrine doctor said it can take a few weeks for the one remaining adrenal to kick back into action.  
    • Posted

Thank you! Actually my mom's has come down. It took three days and she is now in normal range. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

Fast forward almost a month, and my mother is not doing well.  She has had numerous issues with afib and her blood pressure dropping to passing out 85/40.  She still has no appetite and is very weak after her adrenal removal.  How are you doing?  What types of symptoms do you have?  

We just asked to have her cortisol checked again as I am worried that she is showing signs of a deficiency.  She did show a normal range, but i wonder if the one adrenal gland that is left is not able to keep up.

Can anyone help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.