Cushing's-like symptoms years after heavy Prednisolone use?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

?I'm a 36-year-old male who was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease aged 10 and prescribed heavy doses of Prednisolone (up to 60mg in short bursts) throughout my adolescence. I had the usual awful side effects from the steroids although they decreased greatly when I tapered off the meds. Years later, however, I still have certain mild Cushing's-like symptoms, such as moon/red face, thin skin, acne, and weight gain around the midsection and face. This is years after I last took Prednisolone regularly.

Has anybody else suffered from permanent Cushing's-like symptoms despite coming off Prednisolone, or have any idea how these symptoms might be treated?

Best,

?Paul

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Paul

With a background of prednisone given to you it sounds like you have Exogenous Cushing , which is caused by using the prednisone medication. With the symptoms you have listed I would think it a good idea to make an appointment with a endocrinologist to do a workup testing your adrenal glands and your pituitary gland to see what is happening. I hope you find the answers you need

• Posted

Hi Paul,  I was going to say exactly the same as the previous reply.  I agree that it sounds like Exogenous Cushings caused by Predsinole.  As Cyclic says I would ask for an appointment with a GP with a view to seeing an Endocrinologist.  Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately it takes long time but if I were you would discuss with my Dr to check your hormone levels and probably a low dose dexamethasone suppression test would be helpful too so they can check everything if you have other problem.

• Posted

Many thanks guys! I appreciate the suggestions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.