Cushing ‘s Syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Son has been seeing a doctor about 8 months & has been diagnosed with Cushing’s Syndrome.  He has been on koralym & still doesn’t feel any better.  Cannot stay awake!  He is getting very frustrated as he is not able to work.  Does anyone know if he would be eligible for disability?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ring Citizens Advice Bureau?

What is the cause of his Cushing’s? Adrenal, Pituitary, Ectopic?

• Posted

Hello Dee,

Wow that is a hard question.  I had not heard of korlym before so had to look it up.  I understand that it is prescribed in Cushings for people with a high sugar level or type 2 Diabetes.  I am hoping that there may be someone else on the forum who can help more.  A lot of Cushings patients are diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus but this has nothing to do with sugar.  Does your son have type 2 diabetes?  Is the tumour in the Pituitary Gland or the Adrenal Glands.  Has he been offered surgery.  Is it his endocrinologist who has prescribed the drug?  A lot of questions I know but we are here to support you so need to know all the information.  I do not know of anyone who has received a disability benefit from Cushings but again I may e wrong.  Perhaps it will take time for the drugs to work.  He should be seen regularly by his endocrinologist so do ask him/her.  Please keep in touch. Sorry I cannot be of more help.  I hope that others will reply to you.

• Posted

Dee

Depending on the diagnosis and the projected time frame that the drs feel your son will be unable to work, if your son is permanently disabled, and the Dr confirms that prognosis in

Writing, then yes he can file for social security disability. And if he is not permanently disabled you could file and see if he is eligible for social security insurance. I have been disabled since 1989 and yes Cushings disease can be bad enough to be disabled. However, I had 23 drs, took them 9 years to diagnose me and I had several other medical issues along with the Cushings disease. It also took a lot of paperwork and a denial first and had to refile again. But if you file for social security disability and it takes months to get approved..irs retroactive to the date you first filed. I hope this helps explain it. I have never heard of the drug your son is using either.

• Posted

Where are you located? Im getting disability for Cushings after having a pituitary tumor removed. Mine had to be authorized by my doctors.
    • Posted

He is getting a MRI of the pituitary scheduled now.  No tumors on the adrenal glands.  We are in Charleston, SC
  • Posted

i would look into the medication

it could be a side effect of the medication

like it was said before

diabetes insipidus is different from type 2 diabetes

if he has type 2 diabetes,

i would recommend possibly

a gluten free diet

• Posted

Thanks to all my brilliant friends on the Forum for giving Dee so much good advice.  We are all so different!  Dee do let us know how your son gets on and I hope you will find the Forum useful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.