Cushing's Syndrome How do you get the doctors to listen?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I am writing here as I don't know where else to turn as yet another doctor dismissed me this morning as being fat and lazy and told me to get a job!!! The worst of it was my husband had gone with me to see him as we are sick of getting nowhere. He has agreed to to a cushings test next week in the surgery but I am sceptical as I thought it had to be done by an endocrinologist and determined by a certain test? He is going to do a blood test at an appointement in the surgery at 8 a.m after fasting and then give me another at 10am after giving me a drink after the 8a.m blood test.

Is this a good test to take? Will it give a true result? I only ask as for the last 2 years I have been ill enough to be unable to return to work to a job I did actually without a doubt love!! I'm sure they think I just can't be bothered getting off my lazy fat behind and working!

I also am very angry as he said they did a cushings test in Oct '06, I know for a FACT that I had no such test. I did get blood tests but not the test they are about to do even though he says it has been done, I'm confused, tired and am for giving up and lying down to what I believe to be the cause of my problems. I don't WANT to have this but I do believe I have it, just wish my doctor would. I KNOW it is rare!! But someone has to have it!! Rant over - sorry, please could someone reply to my blood test questions and with any advice you may have as to getting through to the doctors! Thanks in advance

Kim

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi regarding cushings tests the most important one is 24hour urine collection by the gp which is sent to hospital for testing otherwise the blood tests are at midnight in hospital as the cortisol is naturally low then so if it is shown to be high then it would be cushings the lady who went to the doctors in sept 08 dont be told about a test in 06 anyway as this would have been 2yrs ago and irrelevant it sounds as though your gp is checking you out for diabetes a sugar fasting test . ask another dr to refer you to an endocrinologist . dont feel paranoid as the gp couldnt know for sure without lots of tests wether you have cushings or not and this includes mri brain scan and adrenal scan you :D take care peacex
  • Posted

Just found all these forums so very new, I had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove two piturity tumors after going to the Drs for years with fatigue, muscle weaking,achy bones ( I had hip replacement earlier this year it ben great) bloating of stomach ankles swelling , loose of energy not being able to climb stair without using hands and knees, skin tore very easily, etc etc they kept telling me I was stressed gave me beta blockers etc for high blood pressure, said it was premature aging. made me feel it was all in the mind that I should be more positive up beat, which I am I kept fighting it, untill one day I, I went back and said I know you can not do any thing for me but I need to know whats going on for my childern and grandchildern It was a new Young lady Doctor who I saw, she said she d look into it, I was nt sure she would but 2 weeks later she called me back for a 24hr urine test ( I had had lots of blood tests that showed nothing)I did the test and that confirmed cushings snydrome and then an MRI scan confirmed cushings disease I m in early days of recovery but looking back probaly started 10+ years ago. DONT LET THEM MAKE YOU FEEL SILLY be firm tell them what you want :lol:
  • Posted

Hello I wonder if anyone can help?

I took my 11-year old daughter to GP this morning as she has an awful cough/cold and being asthmatic I always worry about chest infections etc.

Anyway, seems there was reason to sugest an infection & he's put her on antibiotics (Actually, I'm quite pleased) but he has flagged up a concern about possible over-use of steroids (Prednisolone, Fluoextide and Salbutamol (Ventolin)

Yes, she has a round face (BUT so does her daddy) which is apparently a 'symptom' - and yes, she does have a VERY UNFAIR area of weight/puppy-fat around the middle (But arms/legs are lovely/normal as noted by GP).

I'm not sure what to think anymore, so any outside advice/tips/help are more than welcome\"

• Posted

I only have one advise for you if your doctor dont listen to you change your doctor cause from my experience there is only 2 kind of doctor the one who truly care for their patiant and the one who do care but only for your money so dont weist your and your ressources ,look for a doctor who will do all to help you to find what's wrong,about the cushing's test there are more than one so do your resserches and discust it with your endocrinologue (doctor for glandes)so he or she can see how serious you are about your healht and bring a picture how you use to look like versus how you loook now hope things goes well for you.jelly :idea:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.