Cushings or something else??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

i am a 32 year old female who is suffering very badly with lots of symptoms and i am stuggling to find a diagnosis of anything!! 

When i was 15 i was diagnsed with pcos, so it follows suit that i will hve weight issues and be a hairy mary! But now for the last 3/4 years i have had a massive problem with leg and arm weakness. I also have a large buffaloo hump. I am currently signed off work as i am so week in my arm and leg. I have been seen by neorologist who says its  not ms etc. my symptoms are below;

Facial hair (i shave every morning like a man)

body hair (everywhere!!)

buffaloo hump (painfull)

leg and arm weakness

tired all the time

feeling low in my mood

panicky about being seen looking like this

i have alot of weight around my middle, neck and face

If i have a spot or cut the red mark doesnt go away. i have small scars all over me. 

I sweat like crazy

I have big stretch marks on my belly.

One of my ankles and one hand swells

I went to the drs with these symptoms about 3 years ago and i said someone had mentioned cushings and she dismissed it saying it wouldnt presnt this way?! she had my neck fat ultra sounded and it was just fatty tissue. Now my gp says on a bloodtest they ran that i am showing signs of having a under active thyroid. 

Am i crazy or do all these symptoms sound like cushings? 

Please dont think i am desperate to have something wrong with me.....i am not one of them. I have just got to the point now where  want a diagnosis before i loose my job and my house form being off sick!!

Any advice would be great! 

Thanks in advance smile 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi

i would suggest that you look on the website of the pituitary foundation (i'd type in the link only the last time i did that the message went 'under moderation' so i'll let you google it.

they have a lot of literature on the various conditions, including cushings, aimed at patients and carers. They also have a GP booklet which summarises the main points.

i am not sure if you have to register as a 'user' to get access to the leaflets, but they are very thorough and you could download them. if your symptoms match then you could take the printed information to your GP. the sad thing is that pituitary conditions are rare and are often only diagnosed late because it takes a while for patients to get their symptoms acknowledged.

best wishes and good luck

• Posted

Hello yes all these symptoms sound like Cushings to me. I would go to your GP and ask about a 24hr urine collection sample test and then a Dextamethasone test to confirm/rule it out.I have only just been diagnosed myself and it took a lot of going to the Doctors before they sent me for these test and thats only because i had a breakdown because i thought i was losing my mind and i was admitted to Hospital!! Its a very slow dragged out process but like others have said on here, you have to keep on at them and mither them to make them listen! I hope you get some answers soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.