Cut off age for Barrett’s monitoring .

Posted , 5 users are following.

after my last endoscopy, my doctor wants to see me to discuss the cessation of further monitoring! 

He states that there is no dysphasia ! 

However .

The last but one endoscopy revealed prolonged use of proton pump inhibitors had caused multiple gastric polyps! 

The last one ( the one he quoted ) showed a new island of metaplasia  . 

A few months before this last endoscopy, I had to visit my GP as I was experiencing pain . He said I was already on a high dose of esomeprazole , so prescribed 150mg Zantac twice daily ! 

Surely in view of these two morbid and rapid changes , 

the last thing would be to discontinue monitoring! 

I am 80 yers old , a military veteran ! 

I cant help but think this is age discrimination? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John - I too suffer with Barretts and as a matter of fact, I'm having an endoscopy next week.

If I were you, I would get a 2nd opinion. Is that possible? I'm unsure why any doctor would want to cease monitoring. I would really hate to think age descrimination would be the reasoning behind ths but anything is possible.

Is it possible to see another gastro doc?

Wishing you the best!

• Posted

I agree with Glenn that you should try to get a 2nd opinion. I don't know that your doctor is guilty of age discrimination, per se, but he could be making assumptions that he shouldn't make. For instance, he could assume that because of your age, if cancer were to develop in the future that you either wouldn't want to go through treatment or that your health would prohibit it. Even if one of those things is correct, it should still be your decision and you should definitely know of any problem. (My dad declined treatment when he was diagnosed with colon cancer at 87.)

I don't think anyone should be talked out of monitoring on the basis that their chances of developing cancer from Barrett's is low. I'm a female, non-smoker, non-drinker, so my chances were extremely low but it happened. I am fortunate that the cancer was found very early during a routine endoscopy.

• Posted

Hi John

I was quite concerned by your post . I think you need to see another doctor, it certainly seems age related to me which is disgusting! 

• Posted

Hi John

?In my experience the NHS is very guilty of age discrimination . They were forcing my mother to sign a DNR and when she refused they started to 'work' on us to say she was mentally unfit and would we sign on her behalf. She was 88 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.