Cutting 10 mg to 5 mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

having a hard time getting the two halves of a 10mg tablet to cut evenly into 5mg with a regular pill cutter. tried a straight razor blade, still having no luck. any of you on 5 mg, how do you get the halves equal and exact. I feel it's important to keep them as equal as possible. any suggestions? is there a pill cutter out there that works?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

a straight edge large toe nail clipper works the best.

• Posted

I have wasted more meds, still scared I won't get it exact even with straight edge nail cutter. I'm so sensitive, even a little off seems to make a difference. do most drugstores have straight edge cutters?

• Posted

Hi Nancy

I've been experimenting and today I used a thin bladed knife, a cheese knife to be exact and it was better than my pill cutter, provided your pills are not the crumbly type.

• Posted

Hi

did you check that you can cut them?

if there is no division then it is not advisable to cut as the active substance is not evenly allocated in the pill.

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

Maybe ask for a liquid form? It is easier to dose it. I will be cutting back in two months time too and I intend to get the liquid form as I want to reduce 1mg every two weeks.

• Posted

I already asked about the liquid form, they don't have it at the pharmacy. I'm in California. don't know why they have it some places and not others.

• Posted

you can probably order the liquid form on line with a prescription.

• Posted

it was hard when i had to cut my pills though i cut a 20mg into 4. Half was easy but the quarter tricky. I found if the rounded (uncut side) edge was facing inwards to my pill cutter it was better though sometimes they'd ping off somewhere.

I didnt worry about the pieces being exactly even because it all evened out.

My pill utter has a crusher too so I could crush a pill and divide the powder.

• Posted

Hi Katecogs

I too am reducing from 10 to 7.5 mgs for almost a month now but not sure if by cutting whether I'm getting the correct dose. If you crush the pill, how do you divide if equally? I 've been getting night palpitations since recucing, is this to be expected? Apologies for gatecrashing but I respect your views.

• Posted

Hi Jayn

You're not gatecrashing at all xx

Well you don't really know if dividing the powder is 100% accurate for both halves, but either cutting or crushing and taking half, if one half is a little greater than the other then you'll take the lesser one the next day so it really doesn't matter as your body won't notice that small amount in such a short time.

Are you reducing to come off completely, reducing to change meds or just reducing then staying on these meds? Night palpitations could be for any reason - if you've reduced rapidly already before going down to the 7.5mg it could be the reason.

When I withdrew from meds completely it took me a year going from 20mg. Jumping from dose to dose too quick can cause side effects. I didn't have anything going that slow.

• Posted

Hi Katecogs

Thank you so much for replying to me.

I understand what you say about cutting or crushing the tablet. I won't worry about it now.

I reduced from 10 straight to 7.5mg about a month ago. I've only been getting these palpitations since then. Not sure if it's anxiety increase or reduction causing it. My intention was to come off all together because I don't want to take them forever but if I can stabilise on 7.5mg I don't think I'll be in a hurry to come off them I just want to stabilise for now. Do you think I should go back to 10 mg, and maybe start reducing more slowly in the new year?

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Jayn

Have you recovered fully then and now want to come off meds? So is it palpitations or anxiety you're feeling? It could be due to the reduction, maybe your body adjusting - there's so many reasons why, but always best to check it out with your doctor to put you mind at rest.

When I withdrew I wasn't in any hurry and stayed on each reduction for months, testing the waters each time. I always thought if I felt uncomfortable at any stage I'd just go back to the previous dose, but it all went fine. I think going from 10mg to 7.5mg is a nice small amount and being on that for a month is slow enough. I reduced by 5mg each time.

• Posted

Hi Katecogs

I thought I had fully recovered but I think not now because since reducing I have had increased anxiety in the mornings. My palpitations come at night, I wake up with them but not every night. I can control them by focusing on something else, just turning on TV for instance. I also have crazy tinnitus which is another reason for coming off. I've had all the common withdrawal symptoms but not at the same time. Right now it's only the palps, maybe this is a phase. I'll see how tonight goes but I think, as you say, I might get it checked out for peace of mind. I did have palps before with anxiety and had a echo about two years ago and it was fine.

It's interesting you mentioned that you considered going back to the previous dose if you felt uncomfortable at any time maybe I should try that first. Oh if everything was just black and white.

Thank you so much for your advice, and taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it x

• Posted

Hi Jayn

That often happens - whilst on the meds they keep your Serotonin at a certain level and when you start reducing the meds it alters it again so you can start feeling anxiety again. Anxiety is normal but of course we can start panicking at the first sign of it again which sets off the whole anxious cycle again (fearing anxiety causes more anxiety).

Palpitations are a side effect of anxiety (but do get checked out) and some people do get tinnitus which can be due to the medication.

Yes coming off meds I knew that as I slowly lowered them I knew if I felt ‘not right’ then it was easy to return to the previous dose where I’d been fine.

I know - its not easy.

Learning about anxiety is one the best things I ever did though - understanding what my body and mind does and how to help myself really helped when I came off meds. Not understanding what was happening (and being in the dark) just made me automatically panic when anxiety started, which then kickstarted everything off again, but knowing what to do and how to pass through has always stood by me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.