Cutting 1mg pills

Posted , 8 users are following.

As long as the 1mg pred pills are uncoated, it is very easy to make a quarter to help with a slow drop.  I use a pill cutter to make a half which comes out perfectly, then use a sharp knife to cut in quarters.  I do a few at once and use them for a few days to see if my body is ready to take a half drop.   If I get the PMR pain in my right wrist, I know I have to leave it for a week and then try again.   This avoids a flare I believe.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes - I find pain in my wrist at the base of my thumb is a sure sign of a flare!!!
  • Posted

Yep diana….I have to drop by a quarter mg from 10 mg down... and find a good pill cutter does the job....

How ever, (this may be nit picking of corse ) but I only cut what is required each day...…….

My reasoning is, if my cutting is a bit off, the pills I cut will be used in a couple of days...…..

This makes sure my dose is hopefully staying more constant...……

As I am not tolerant to doseage change....I feel this is correct for me ( probably a bit of over kill maybe )

• Posted

I tried reducing with 0.5mg which worked until I got to 3mg, then relapsed. So obviously I reduced too soon. That was a little while ago. The next time I used the 45 day slow method which worked but, now on 4mg symptoms are creeping in. Well at least I think it would is PMR symptoms.
  • Posted

Marg....I too have never got below 5 mg daily successfully ( mornings only ) …. but I am thinking that dose will do me for the rest of my life …….. However, I am now using my own version of the DSNS that lasts 30 days and drops by one quarter mg over that period...…...so  I am going to keep going and see if I can drop below the 5mg mark ,,I do have a while to go , as I am currently on 7.5 daily  …  I guess time will tell...……...
    • Posted

BillyP,  I too think I’ll be on them for a long time. What is the DSNS method?

I am from the city of Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA.

Cheers 

Marg

• Posted

Marg..

you mentioned the  45 day slow method.... I would say we are talking about the same thing... Dead Slow Nearly Stopped (DSNS) as most people call it...  all I have done is  alter the scale to cover 30 days instead of the 45 days you used, then I used a drop of a quarter m g over that 30 days to give my drop of one quarter mg per month that I have to use, I am assuming you dropped 1mg per 45 days Lucky you living in Tassy….I am from Blacktown NSW.... I am not too worried about staying on a daily 5mg dose if that's what it takes to live OK ,I dont appear to have any side effects that I am aware of, other than bruising easily ,but then at 80 that is to be expected I suppose.. but I do have a bone density test every couple of years....  Billy.....

• Posted

BillyP of course I ve heard the the DSNS, silly me.  Agreed that we have to stay on it long term to be free of the PMR effects. I will certainly increase my dose to achieve comfort.  My legs ache intermittently at rest and walking. These were the symptoms I recall weeks prior to PMR 2.5years ago.

Cheers for that

marg

• Posted

Hi Eileen this is the formula that I used to get from 5 to 4mg but, as you said I needed to stay with 5 for longer.

I am going to increase to 10 for three days, then jump back to 5, and stick with it. 

Will keep all informed, and thank you🤗

This has been a very interesting topic , and I don’t feel so alone anymore.  

Marg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.