Cutting Amitriptyline back to 5 mg per night

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was put on Amitriptyline last December to help with IBS and insomnia at 10 mg.   I was on that for 2 months when the doctor then increased it to 20 mg to help more with insomnia.   I found it a bit sedating at 10 mg through the day and while it knocked me out at first when taking it at bedtime I would still wake up a couple of times in the night.  After being on the 20 mg dosage for a month I found that I was way too sleepy during the day.  The doctor said I could cut it down to 10 mg but I went to 5 mg instead.   Has anyone ever stayed on 5 mg and been just fine with it?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you also read one of the earlier comments by christine, even she states that she cut down to 5mg & it was doing nothing. I believe you are on too low a dose but that is only my opinion & unfortunately im not a GP. Keep posting & please let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

I have made the decision to get off of it altogether.  My stomach issues started back in September 2015 out of nowhere - cramping for a good 8 weeks.  I went through a million tests and nothing was found.   This all came at a time when I was feeling highly stressed too.  The gastroenterologist decided it was either IBS or stress related.  She asked if I was willing to go on the Amitriptyline to settle down the nerves in the stomach.  I got put on 10 mg at first and was fine for a few weeks, started to get the odd stomach issue now and then but not very much.  The sleep thing was up and down.  I went back for a followup and told her about what was going on with the stomach and the nights of always waking up. She asked me if I wanted to try 20 mg.  If I found it was too much, then just to cut back down to 10mg.  Yes, I found 20 mg too much but also the 10 mg was too much so I made the decision to go with 5 mg and it's still the same nonsense.  I can get to sleep no problem but wake up through the night and I'm really sleepy during the day.  I feel that this med is just too sedating for me no matter the dosage.  I am an older person so I figure the sleep thing is just part of age as I have talked to others my age and they have the same issue.   The stomach thing?  Since it's rare that it occurs and I can eat no problem despite the aching, that   I have no fever, not vomitting, not losing weight,  I will deal with it when it occurs.   For the most part i just ignore it and go about my day.  By the way I was taking the med at 7 pm and going to sleep at 11.  In the mornings I still felt drowsy when I got up, it would ease up a bit and then late morning or early afternoon I was getting hit full force.  It's just very odd.  I woud go out in the car to run errands and while I was still in control of what I was doing, my head at the same time didn't feel right.I think this med might be causing me to feel a bit down too but then again there are some issues going on in the household at the moment.  That will be changed in a few months.  Good luck to everyone who takes the med.   I certainly wouldn't say anything bad about it.  It just didn't work out for me - too sedating throughout the day.
    • Posted

How did you go off endep.??????? My dr says stay on endep. U need to sleep... i said yes i do but on 10mg i zombie during day and non functional. Thats not living...i have been on a barage of meds last year most due to a misdiagnose. Prior to this i had none of these symptoms and rarely sick.now omg all i am is symptomatic 24/7. I believe i have drug induced brain issues now... even on tge 5mg i still a zombie. In sure these mood altering meds are needed by some and work. Just wish one would work for me...
    • Posted

I just went cold turkey but still feeling sleepy and like a Zombie.  I don't know, it could be still getting the stuff out of my system or maybe a menopausal thing.  What did your doctor say when you told him all of what was going on?  Any other recommendations?
    • Posted

He said go back to 10 and stay on it. U need to sleep. I said i need to function in day too . Drs just dont understand what this brain fog is like. They think u just tied... but it is hard to explain it to someone who has never experienced it.. anyway last night i took the 10mg slept last night. Ok today but betting i just get worse and worse again as days go on. As for getting it out of your system it leaves fairly quickly . Its the receptors they have to wake up readapt and work on their own. If u sensitive as i am it could take ages. I still have protracted withdrawal from benzo that was stopped 8 months ago. Scary stuff all these mood changing meds...
    • Posted

Hi Theg!

How long have you been back on the amitriptyline & did you stop your dosage. If so how long for.

• Posted

Hi i didnt go off it just dropped it off to 5mg as i couldnt function. Lower dose for couple weeks. Functioned a bit better back to 10 last night. Cos dr told me .back to being a zombie.
    • Posted

Mmmm! Not sure what to suggest theg. I experienced the brain fog when i started mine but it wore off on me after about 3 months. Some say 6 weeks but i guess everyone is different.
    • Posted

The brain fog is not related to you taking this medication.its the fibro, yes it can make you feel like a zombe the next day..,ive been on it 30 years now..im ok. with it now, but the brain fog comes and goes all the time, lots of us with Fibro have brain fog some have never taken this med..its just the fibro, ..be blessed😘.😚😚
    • Posted

Soor Theg you are on the Amithriptilyne site...thiught it was the fibro site...jooe you find out what you need to know, i also take mine at night 6pm too..like most people.😘😘
  • Posted

I started on 10mg for a few weeks but found that I was zonked out in the daytime.  Took it at bedtime, as instructed.  It fixed my cramps/pains/pins & needles etc in my legs that started in the middle of the night (caused by neuropathic pain as a result of laminectomies decades ago).  However, the zonked out condition in the daytime was as bad, or worse, than the tiredness without the medication.

Tried reducing to 5mg, by cutting the 10mg pill in half.  It has done the trick!  GP says "if it works for you, fine"  Problem is simply GP says 10mg is the smallest pill available, and I will have to go on cutting them in two.

If you are on 5mg, can you tell me the trade name/manufacturer etc so that I can follow this up with my local chemist?

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on 10 mg of Amitriptyline for 4 years to help with hip pain. i am wanting to wean off. Am i able to cut the 10mg tab in half so i can reduce to 5mg for a few weeks. Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.