Cutting back on Gabapentin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on 300mg X3 of Gabapentin from 2006 till January of 2017.  I chose to cut back to 100mg X2 am and pm and 300mg at bedtime after having a RFA tx on my C5-7 fusion area.  I was not aware of any side effects from the decrease then.

I am not trying to decrease 100mg in the am as I'd like to only be on a total of 300mg a day.  The past two nights have been sleepless.  I'm feeling a buzzing noise in my head as well as a grogginess.  

Is this just part of the withdrawal or does this mean I should just stay at the 500 mg daily since I do have some permanent nerve damage? Since I'm aware of a tired feeling which starts when I wake up after a good night of sleep, decreasing the dose just seems like the place to start.

Any wisdom?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have been using 600 mg x 3 for 2.5 years. I have not been able to reduce the dosage without severe WD symptoms. But then I started taking a smaller dosage 4 times a day, because of the 6 hours halflife. This has been a lot easier. Now, after 3 months,I am down to 800 mg a day, 200 mg 4 times a day, and with no WD. I finally see the end of the tunnell. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

I'll try this starting today. 100mg am and mid day then 200mg at bedtime..  I'll check in with whether or not my sleeping improved.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello, I've been on Gabapetin for only about 8 weeks for anxiety.  It helps but reading about the withdrawals makes me more anxious, lol.  I was on 700 mg a day.  16 days ago I cut my morning dose to 150 from 200 and 13 days ago I cut my nighttime dose from 300 to 200.  My afternoon dose is still 200.  I havn't felt an withdrawal symptoms.  But today I have anxiety.  I was wondering if 16 days ago is too long ago to feel effects.  Shouldn't I have felt them by now?

• Posted

Yes, Gaba is great for anxiety, but even if you have used it for a relatively short time, it`s probably wiser to cut back in smaller dosages. Withdrawing from Gaba will inevitably cause your initial problems to flare up. The only way, is the slow way. Very slow. For longer usage and larger dosages, the rule is down 5 % a month.
    • Posted

Yes it's been a life saver.  I'm not trying to get off completely. I'll probably stay where I am.  Do the withdrawal side effects happen this long after you've lowered the dose? 13-16 days?

• Posted

Yes, it can sometimes last up to a month. But it`s different from person to person.
    • Posted

Well my Dr didn't tell me to cut back I was just feeling good so I thought I would, you know how that goes.  I have a work conference coming up next week out of town so I think I'll go back to what I taking for now.  Preparing for a trip makes me anxious so that's probably part of it.  Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I decided to go back up 100mg of gabapentin every other day.  After three weeks of trying to sleep through the night, I want to have an enjoyable getaway vacation.

I tried several different sleep aides.  Melatonin did nothing to keep me sleeping but it did make me drowsy at first.  I would end up taking a Percocet at 4am to get a few hours of sleep.  I even trie cannabis but felt hungover in the morning.

I see the PM Doctor mid July.  Maybe he'll have some suggestions.  Or maybe I'll have to stay at 500mg a day.  Hate that thought!

• Posted

What do you take it for, if you don't mind my asking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.