Cutting down on mirtazapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on mirt 45mg for a while now on 30mg for a week. Is it too soon to cut down to 15mg? Also on venlafaxine.  I just want to be on 1 anti depressant (ven) as I'm getting no better. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Kat my GP cut me down from 45 to15 within a week and started me right away with the Ven.  I didn't have any problems at all though I know reading the posts that everone is different and some people have a terrible tim.

Pat xx

• Posted

That makes me feel better pat knowing that you were cut down so quick.  How are you feeling? 
    • Posted

Awful.  Don't laugh but I am going to the cinema on a beautiful like today.  I often go on my own in the afternoon I find it quite relaxing.  I'm going to see The Jersey Boys.  I've seen the show in the west end twice.  I love it.
    • Posted

Good on you if you find it relaxing. I've seen the show. I saw Frankie Vallie at the Albert Hall last year. He was brilliant. 
    • Posted

How was your afternoon at the cinema. Hope it was a good film and that it relaxed you xx
    • Posted

I really enjoyed the film.  If you like the Jersey boys you will like the film.  It's based on the show but with a bit more.  It's over 2 hours long.
  • Posted

Hi Kat, I'm no Dr but I would cut down to 15mg if I were you and you should start seeing improvements in how you feel, I feel less tired with more energy. If you find you get some withdrawal symptoms you can't handle go back u to 30mg - worth a shot, theres quite a few of us now on these forums who are trying to get off Mirtz, lots of help around! 
    • Posted

Thanks Liam. I need all the encouragement I can get. Will cut it down tonight. 
    • Posted

Liam, did you cut your 30mg tablet in half or were you given 15mg tablets? 
    • Posted

I was given some 15mg pills and they have a score line so are easy to break in half. 
    • Posted

I've just looked at my 30mg tablets and they have a score line so I will just cut it in half.
    • Posted

Hey Kat, yes the lower dose did help with my depression, it hasn't completely lifted it away though but more managable, been on mirtz about 7 weeks. I went up to 30mg as you know and the depression and anxiety got worse very quickly! Along with all the other horrible side effects I've spoken about. 
    • Posted

I don't think I've had any help from mirt. It hasn't helped at all with my appetite which it's meant to do. Reading about mirt on this site, it seems there are more people who are against it than for it. I wish i'd never been put on it. As i've said before im also on venlafaxine so tapering off mirt will hopefully give the ven a chance to work. Thank you for your replies they really do help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.