Cutting off cipralex

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey to all . I've been on 10 mg citalopram generics for 10 months now but I think now it's time for me to cut it off. The doctor suggested that I should start taking half of the tablet every day meaning 5 mg daily. I'm not sure about that as I've heard from others that cutting it slowly works better. So maybe I should just start taking 7,5 mg daily and gradually reduce more ? Any tips ? And any things I should expect when I'm cutting it off ? Would it be really bad ? I'm kinda worried cause I'll have to work and all ...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Irene,

I'm glad you don't need them. 10mgs is such a small dose, cutting to 5mg is not. Big jump. Stay on 5mgs for a couple weeks and then possibly do 5mgs every other day then stop. That's what I did when I weaned off. But I'm not a dr, that's just what I did.

• Posted

Thank you both Brian and Grunthos. You took my worries off smile I have been reading lots of things about people going through a terrible time to actually come off this med. I think it's a good idea to stop searching about it and just see how it goes for me personally. Take care and again thank you, it's amazing how a few words can give us courage .

• Posted

Hi Irene,

10mg isn't the normal theraputic dose (20mg, 30 or 40 are the usual doses) so you shouldn't have problems if you come off slowly as your doctor suggested.  If you feel you need to do it more slowly then that's OK as well.  Take everything at your own speed and don't worry about anything  :-)  You will be OK!

• Posted

Thank you both Brian and Grunthos. You took my worries off smile I have been reading lots of things about people going through a terrible time to actually come off this med. I think it's a good idea to stop searching about it and just see how it goes for me personally. Take care and again thank you, it's amazing how a few words can give us courage .

• Posted

I too read all the horror stories. I was on a short course, tapered off really slowly which is advised. Side effects were absolutely minimal, though weird, and came some time, maybe a month after coming off: like an express train noise whosshing through the head for about five seconds, happened a handful of times. unnerving yes, but once you realized it was just withdrawal, it was fine. Been fine for ten years since.  Take it slow is my advice. Good luck.

Rich ( SWest UK NHS )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.