CVST with wife

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, 

It has been about 18 months since we found out that my wife had CVST, and it has been a journey. She had just given birth to our second child, and thats when she started having her headaches. She thought it was a sinus infection, so she kept on pushing along, but the headaches became worse. Her left leg started to twitch, so we knew at that time something wasn't right.  We started to the hospital that second, and she experienced a seizure on the way to the ER. Obviously I was terrified and our newborn was in the backseat. I called the ambulance, and they picked her up and rushed her to the hospital. It wasn't long after, that the Dr came to talk to me and let me know she had a clot in her dural sinus. Thinking back, Im so glad they were able to diagnose it so fast. She spent a few weeks in ICU and then acute care after that. She was put on warfarin and keppra for a while, but we were unable to get her INR levels right. They switched her to Arixtra which is an injection blood thinner, but we went with this one so she could continue breast feeding while using this one...this was very important to her. 

It has been a journey regarding her building her strength and energy back up. She utilized a walker for a long time after the event, and her walking was showing much improvement for a while. But after about 12 months, the Dr took her off the keppra, and her walking showed immediate improvement. She still has residual effects when she goes in high sensory places with alot of movement...malls, restaurants, etc. Her head hurts a little, and her left leg starts to get weak. She has been getting stronger, and we are hopeful she continues to get better. Last month she had a checkup with her neurologist, and we found out that her clot had dissolved which we were very happy about. We will just continue working on her getting stronger, and hoping the residual stuff improves. She has recently accepted a job offer starting in August, so we will see how that goes. I feel she is getting closer to where she was, but no doubt there is still some work to go. 

Just looking to chat with other people that have had similar situations. I find it therapeutic to get guidance and news/ updates from others. Thank you guys.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.