Cyber knife for TN

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody had cyber knife procedure for TN, how long have you been pain free if it worked?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ernestine,

I have had the CyberKnife procedure done once. I went three days in a row for one hour each day. It was about eight months before I felt any relief. I woke up one morning and the pain was just gone. It was not gradual at all for me. The pain just disappeared overnight. Unfortunately, it was only gone from April to September. The Neurosurgeon then diagnosed me as having Atypical and did not recommend another CyberKnife or MVD. I have researched the CyberKnife procedure as thoroughly as I possibly can and the results I found online were consistent with my condition of ATN.

I believe it's worth a try for you if nothing else is working. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mike

• Posted

Hi there -

I had CyberKnife treatment in June for my TN diagnosis (a one-time 1-hour session). Until August (for about 2 months) I actually felt more pain - more frequent, more intense episodes of the "electric shock" pain. Since then, my pain has subsided almost completely, replaced instead by some tingling and numbness.

My neurologist initially recommended a decrease in my oxcarbazepine dose (from 600mg daily to 300mg daily), but the pain was back. Now I am at 450mg daily to keep the pain/tingling at bay, and the side effects are negligible compared to the prior level of pain.

Personally, I think it was worth it, as my quality of life has returned to normal. The oncologist did warn me that the pain may return at some point and a 2nd surgery may be required, or I may want to evaluate microvasular decompression. I decided against invasive surgery for the first try and I'm glad I did.

Hope all goes well for you, Ernestine.

Best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.