Cycling??

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello all,

I would like to get your opinion regarding cycling...

I'm 53 and have bilateral THR, had my last operation almost 9 weeks ago. 

I'm doing quite well, can walk for half an hour, pain free most of the time...

Due to my immobility and pain , before the operation I couldn't ride a bicycle for a long time. I missed the feeling((

I wonder if I can start cycling again  but afraid to hurt my hips .

I would like to hear about your experiences regarding cycling.

Would it be risky for me??

Thanks

Desire

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Desire64, did you have the anterior or posterior approach done? I had the former, and was told there were NO restrictions on movement. In fact, I used a stationary cycle as part of my physio, starting in the 2nd month. I think if you were used to cycling before, you could try it again. Maybe start slowly at first. In your shoes, I might try a stationary bike first, if you have access to one.

So happy for your success, though - I am 8 months out from surgery, and still in lots of pain, can't walk for long or cycle at all without pain.

• Posted

Dear KarmaMama,

I had posterior approach.

Thanks for your valuable comments, my doctor also said No restrictions, but I'm still worried.

The stationery bike you had used, was it upright or horizontal??

Sorry to hear about your pain, I had this operation from both hips and felt quite well after 3 months. What does your doctor say?

How old are you?

I hope you will feel much better soon.

All the best

Desire

• Posted

Much older than you, unfortunately. I am about to turn 70. I used an upright bike. My surgery was due to bad arthritis in the hip, and I followed all directions and did all the physio I could. The cycling was only somewhat painful, but my hip is now somewhat worse than when I was doing it tegularly.

I used to cycle a lot when I was younger, 15 -18 miles/day was typical. Now I would be happy to walk and climb stairs comfortably. But I'm doing all kinds of stuff - working on getting a second opinion from a different surgeon, trying deep tissue massage and acupuncture. And keeping as active as I can.

• Posted

Afternoon Desire64!  I'm a year out and I still can't peddle  on a stationary bike.  And if I can manage to I peddle I can only go backwards.  😞  Are you still under hip precautions?  The 90 degree rule?   Like you I wasn't able to get on a bike before surgery. But it seems now I still can't and I'm very disappointed.   Talk with your dr.    Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery and healing.  Hugs 🤗 Linda 

• Posted

Desire, my surgeon said I was never to ride a cycle on the road again. Could do static bike which I do regularly. All other restrictions were lifted.  What you have to think of is damage you could do if you fell off.
  • Posted

Hi,

im 58 and had both hips done with complications on my left side. I ride both a rode bike and mountain bike. I've seen multiple surgeons for the complications and they've all supported my riding. I've gone over the mountain bikes handle bars 3 times and did not have any pain in my hips....others places yes. I ride on single track trails, bike paths and roads. It's the only time I'm not in a lot of pain. I'm say go try on a safe path and see what happens. I was very nervous to get on my bike the first time but within a few minutes I was flying along! 

• Posted

"...I would like to hear about your experiences regarding cycling. Would it be risky for me??..."

Hi Desire-

You're smart to hesitate before getting on a bike again. Aside from your own strength and mobility limitations, you are vulnerable to falls for any number of reasons: collisions, ice/mud/snow, flats, etc.. Bad for you; especially bad for your brand new hip joints. After my THRs, I rode bikes for a decreasingly comfortable length of time. Eventually, I switched to recumbent tricycles. Much safer and more comfortable. I have an ICE Adventure, a jewel of a machine and a joy to ride. I added the seat riser, to get the seat to a more comfortable height.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Desire64, my surgeon told me I SHOULD cycle, that it would be good movement for the new hip.  Hope you are out enjoying the wind in your hair soon!  Janet
  • Posted

I had a single THR in Oct 2015, with revision 10 weeks later due to surgical and hospital errors.  I started using an upright stationary exercise bike at 30 days after the revision when cleared by my physio.

At 4 months post revision, I started using my road bike and managed a couple of miles.

As I was back at work in London, I started using the 'Boris Bikes' to get around.

• Posted

Hi - i saw my consultant at my 6 week check (post bilateral) and asked him the same question. I have been so scared of dislocation. He said the prostheseis won't break and danger time for dislocation is 1st 6 weeks. After 3 months it should be fine - he said more likely to damage areas other than new joint at our age!

I am currently building my stamina and confidence using a static bike - feels so good to cycle again!

Think probably best to check with your consultant as they all have their own post op protocol. Be unterested to hear how you get on. 😊😊

• Posted

Desire

I'm 9 weeks post my 2 stage revision surgery. I stopped riding my bike 12 months ago when the infection in my hip first started to get painful. So I've not done much exercise since then. (on crutches for 5 months after they took out the infected hip). I'm now 9 weeks post the new hip. I borrowed an exercise bike and have been using that for nearly 3 weeks. I got on my real bike for the first time yesterday and did 10 miles. My legs were quite tired by the end as was my body as there is a rather nasty hill just before I get home. But I was fine. I had a bit of difficulty standing up in the pedals.

I had asked my surgeon abaout it and he said it was OK (he's currently cycling 100 miles round Birmingham - started at 8.30 this morning)

So I'd say go for it. Try 100 yards on flat ground just to see how it feels or an exercise bike and try not to have too many hills in your first rides.

My current goal is to ride 70 miles on my 70th birthday next May. Bit of a way to go though.

Enjoy!!

Mike

• Posted

Wow so many back on bikes!  Makes me feel yet again the odd ball. 😞   Wasn't able to get on a bike before surgery for years and now a little over a year out and still can't.   Story of my life.   But here's hoping for you Desire64!!  

• Posted

Hi, I had just one hip replaced when I was 57, a year ago. I was cleared to ride my bike at my 6 week appointment, but I think I left it another few weeks. When I started riding again I couldn't believe how comfortable it was, compared with pre surgery! I bike to work, and it's absolutely fine. Good luck, Judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.