Cycling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

A bit strange question I guess, but does anybody who is in remission cycle with ME/CFS. Only asking as I saw my cycle in the shed at the weekend, but my wife said it would be a very bad idea to try to ride it in my present condition. It must have been the sunny Sunday morning that made me think it was a good idea… sad Just as well I didn't as I'm totally wacked out and ready for bed today and its only 2pm.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally think it's worth a try. Cycling on the agenda (indoors) as part of me GET.
  • Posted

sometimes... legs burn but the rest of me isnt too bad, but i only go on the good days on flat(ish) routes... and rest and drink plenty.... but have enjoyed it, a lot less dificult than walking or running ... watch out for early morning or early evening twilight - peripheral vision isnt as good as you may be used to...
    • Posted

Hi Andrew

I do suffer with restless leg syndrome at the best of times with my ME so I will have to watch out for over doing the legs and like you said  only try on a "good day" and keep it to a flat short route with plenty of rest and fluids. You are right about also about the eyesight, I went for contact lenses last year but my eyes were never the same so the optician could not get the right lens for my sight so we had to give up after a year of trying... every two weeks I would go back and have an adjustment made to the prescription they knew me well in the opticians by the time we called it a day on the contact lens.

• Posted

let us know on the cycling front.... remember you were a champion and will be again... but not today... sometimes my legs are bad enough no matter how i feel i have ot go for a walk around to calm them down... oddly works just leaves me tired better that than getting so edged up i get a bit stroppy....
    • Posted

so true, on the legs. they ache sitting, standing and lying down, and trying to sleep is another game altogether isnt it.

• Posted

Hi David59662,

Thanks for reminding me it’s part of GET. I will have to look into getting a cheap trainer attachment for the bike and see if I can do a few minutes in the saddle (indoors so I can fall on to the sofa when I have overdone it lol)

• Posted

Yeah me too, aiming for short 'bursts' 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure what's going to happen but want to try it and see. Back in the day i could cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh in under 3 hours in the pouring rain.
    • Posted

I think building core strength a little could be of use in keeping the body fighting the condition and staying one-step ahead of it, as I am afraid, the lack of general exercise/movement will increase the risks of heart disease in patients with long term ME/CFS. I have suffered for close on 20 years with the now familiar relapses along the way; it is just a part of my lifecycle I feel ok… overdo it and then feel bad for a few weeks/months etc.

But despite this constant state of flux I think little by little I’m slightly ahead of the condition, whether or not a few bursts on a cycle trainer will help or hinder I will have to see, I did try Gym membership a while ago, I managed to go twice before it finished me off for 3 to 4 months… So perhaps in my own home I can do a little and just add to it slowly without pressure to outdo myself and to keep up with someone else who is not a sufferer of ME.

• Posted

4 press ups, 6 sit ups one with a left twist one with a right twist one straight, 4 back curls hold for 7secs each one, 3 chinnies hands facing you and narrow grip alternate days until comfortable.....
    • Posted

hi

your fitter than me I cant do that... getting out of the car is a struggle most of the time lol

• Posted

halve it! and good luck blowing up the tyres, better still save your enegry and get someone else to do that for you - you can enjoy the ride then.... uh oh! biggrin
  • Posted

Yeah, do try it (indoors first is probably a good idea).  Just don't overdo it at first!  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi

I may well need a degree of luck with the cycling, come to think of it... I will have to rest after blowing up the tyres on the bike... wink

• Posted

great excuse to get someone else to do the tyres for you....lol

• Posted

Maybe you could just do a gentle ride for a few mins and make sure you don't overdo it. I went for a walk today for the first time in two weeks and it felt so good to be out in the sunshine and fresh air. My doctor told me to try and walk a little bit each day as it's so easy to become deconditioned through lack of exercise. My legs felt very weak at first and I am very tired now. Even when I couldn't go out I would lift my arms up and down to get the blood circulating.
    • Posted

Hi Mary 24931

Your so right,  Its important to keep the body moving I suffer with OA in the hips also so I'm in some pain 75/80% of the time with ME or the arthritis.  I have to keep my joints in use otherwise its pure hell. The ME specilist at the hospital did tell me with age I might feel in a bad state sometimes, at 52 I feel like this!!! so I'm trying to get the most out of life before It becomes overpowering (I'm not looking forward to being a OAP with ME and the arthritis).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.